Back in the first part of this blog I posted this photo and said that the project was going to turn out quite like the “plan”. ... but this is a sketch of a leg and just a corner of a table so what goes? Well the answer is that the original idea here was to make a table with really cool legs. The ringed ball idea had just come to me from ??? who knows where but when I sketched it I liked it. Then I added the table and indicated lots of marquetry even on the curved parts.
So lets have a look at how the ringed balls came together. First I glued and squared up some Tubi stock and made a pattern for the copy lathe attachment that came with my old ShopSmith 10ER (1950).
This would produce balls exactly 1 3/4” diameter with 3/4” spindles on each end.
The piece in the lathe here is a bit of yellow cedar that I used as a trial piece.
This is the little gauge I used to check the accuracy of the balls and spindles. I left the balls just a hair oversize so the rings could be fitted to a flat surface.
Next I bored a 1 3/4” hole in a piece of arbutus with a forstner bit ….
...and chucked it on a slightly tapered spindle for turning.
These were easy enough to eyeball so I didn’t need the copier.
Back to the tubi balls. Next job was to mark the position of the rings and sand a little flat surface for the rings to mount on.
Here’s one with the ring all fitted up. The other is the dyed yellow cedar trial piece.
And here’s the set of four with a first thought prototype of the leg top.
That’s it for this one. Sorry I didn’t get farther but this was a very critical step in the process for me because it was the central feature around which the project was developed. I really wanted to get it right and it took a bit if time.
Next time I’ll finish up with the legs. I promise you’ll like them…........I hope.
Comments, critiques and questions…. Of course.
Thanks for looking in
-- Paul M ..............If God wanted us to have fiberglass boats he would have given us fibreglass trees. http://thecanadianschooloffrenchmarquetry.com/