When the last episode ended our fearless hero was in a quandary. He had ditched the purpleheart garland in favor of a rope band that he didn’t like either and was in search of a way to bring some dark color back into the pale interior of the table top. (OK enough third person already) Anyway the decision was to re-cut the “music” motif, this time in the piece by piece or classic method. That would render four identical copies for my trouble and I could use them on other projects. At the same time I needed to make something nice to show to a couple of local galleries so I used one of the motifs to make a simple tray.
That left me three copies, one with a purpleheart field for the table.
Which looked like this.
It was time to leave this part for a bit and do something else for a while so I assembled the rest of the top and glued it up to the baltic birch substrate. My press isn’t big enough to accommodate the whole thing and the hot glue would be cooling before I could assemble everything anyway so….(You may have seen my post when I built the press and wondered what the bar-b-ques were for.) I took my time spreading my glue and making sure my piece was accurately aligned on the substrate and then put half of it in the press with a hot 1/2” aluminium caul on top of it. This re-liquefies the glue and presses at the same time for the best of all possible glue joints.
When the first side cooled I re-heated the caul and pressed the other side whose glue was now stone cold.
Then I got to work cutting in the banding between the ebony border and the birdseye field..
A couple of quick jigs and my cheap but wonderful HF trimmer took a bit of the tension out of the task.
Then I milled up some tubi (queen ebony) on my big router table.
Glued it on the edges… Oh yes, the time away from thinking about the medallion gave me clarity. I realized that the solution was to go back to the original medallion and tie it to the outer part by using a purpleheart band. Just enough dark in the middle…. Happy at last!
and added a 1/8” holly band to join the ebonies. In this photo a protective coat of epoxy has been applied.
I’ll explain why the epoxy in the next segment.
That’s enough for me for one go. Next time I’ll step away from the progress and use some of the “opportunities” that came up on this table top to explain the marqueteur’s greatest nightmare, sanding through. It isn’t the end of the world but when you first notice it you would be hard to convince of that.
Thanks for looking in
Questions, comments and critiques always welcome.
-- Paul M ..............If God wanted us to have fiberglass boats he would have given us fibreglass trees. http://thecanadianschooloffrenchmarquetry.com/