I know I kind of wound this blog up last time but this little adventure was enough fun to warrant another post. As you know if you read the last entry, The knob was about the only thing left to make. How hard can that be? ............. Hard.
I started out with a stack of 2 1/4” square x 7/8” Cocobolo blocks and a few thin pieces of Arbutus and Paduk. Here’s where I went wrong, maybe. I didn’t try to remove surface oil before gluing. The gluing process was very simple. Glue the stack and wait overnight. Then after squaring up and cleaning up the stack, the fun began. I cut the stack on the diagonal, added a veneer of Arbutus and re-glued. Then I did the opposing diagonal and in turn each of the other “rays”.
Even though I reduced the blank to an octagon, the torque was too great on the lathe and the glue lines began to fail.
I tried a ROS and that seemed to work, although I don’t think I’m young enough to have done the whole knob that way.
I needed a plan B and , for a boatbuilder, the bandsaw is the go-to tool.
The next part was easy. If the sander worked but was too slow,...... DUH… Get a bigger sander, with 40 grit.
In the end, it all worked out fine. Fortunately the handle is pretty much of an ornament on the chevalet so it will probably last forever.
I made one other small auxiliary part today, my own invention. It’s a lock, pictured here first open and then locked. What it does is to hold the foot pedal down. That means that when you are trying to thread a blade through a tiny hole in a packet of veneers, if the lock is set, it will hold the packet and let you use both hands for the blade and clamps. It will just kick in and out of position and it’s far more elegant than putting a C clamp on the jaws as I was on Chevy I. :-)
Bye for now
-- Paul M ..............If God wanted us to have fiberglass boats he would have given us fibreglass trees. http://thecanadianschooloffrenchmarquetry.com/