It’s been a while but the project is moving along. I don’t want to spill the near finished photos just yet because the project post should be along soon but here’s an update on some recent fun in the shop.
Last entry I had just glued up the halves of the dodecahedron but was having a tad of a challenge getting all the faces to line up before gluing the hinge in place. Well, to make a very long story very short, I finally accomplished that and got to the next scary bit…. actually gluing the hinge. Here’s the box assembled with double sided tape to keep it lined up and with thickened epoxy liberally applied to the mating surface of the hinge. I chose epoxy because clamping pressure was out of the question.
Here it is pushed into place with a bit of tape to hold it as the epoxy cures.
Both of my previous boxes had on-theme handles that were sort of afterthoughts when the time came that a handle was required so it seemed appropriate to do the same here. I thought a butterfly might make a
nice handle. I found this one in free clipart. In this shot I’m cutting out two wings at once.
After cutting out the wings I stacked them and sanded a bevel on the body-sides so that they would glue together in a vee. Here the initial dye (yellow R) has been applied.
Then, using a finer brush and very little dye I added the black.
I turned the body on the lathe. It was interesting with full size tools but it came out just fine.
Voila! the finished handle, ready to install. (after a few more coats of finish c/w sanding)
Thanks for dropping in. Shouldn’t be too long now. I may do one more entry when I do the gold leaf on the base, we’ll see.
Comments, critiques, jokes, funny stories or whatever…. all welcome
‘Til next time
-- Paul M ..............If God wanted us to have fiberglass boats he would have given us fibreglass trees. http://thecanadianschooloffrenchmarquetry.com/