God hates a coward, I’ve always said so with only a little experimentation , I decided to dive in and try out a few techniques to dye the assembled glue-up. The worst that could happen, I figured, would be that I’d screw up badly and I could still sand it out…... maybe. Or I suppose it could turn into a potato chip and never return to shape. The latter calamity I have new reason to believe is controllable with the hairdryer, so let’s get to it.
I got a late Christmas present right off the bat. It turns out that the urea-formaldehyde glue lines will stop dye from bleeding to the adjacent piece. When I had tried to dye assembled marquetry before, the dye had readily bled across CA and PVA glue lines. It may also be that this time the marquetry was only taped together when vacuum bagged to the substrate. That may have allowed a better glue line than the old method of gluing up the marquetry first. Anyway have a look at this photo. I’m intensifying the “rosewood” simulation and the glue line is holding perfectly, as long as my hand is steady enough not to cross it.
I was having so much fun with this today that I didn’t take many pictures. Just two actually. There isn’t much to show anyway. It’s just sort of watercolor painting except with aniline dyes and bits of wood, not that I’m any kind of watercolorist or anything but it was relatively simple and trouble free. If there’s interest I will do a set of the techniques I’m developing to do this at another time (when I figure out what these techniques are). The other big problem I was worried about was wood expansion from the dye making serious warps in the pieces. I used a lot less water and a lot more isopropyl alcohol this time and dried after each application and it was never an issue. Here’s the finished set. I may darken the center piece in a few places where it seems different from the side piece it abuts, but I may not . It looks quite natural when the angle is formed….. like the top is light and the side shadow. I think I’ll tape up and look at it one more tiome before I decide. Before you ask, the little caterpillar is inserted to cover a little “opportunity” I created at an earlier stage.
All in all not nearly as eventful as I thought it would be but interesting none the less. There’s sure a lot to learn here.
Thanks for looking in. Comments, critiques, advice or whatever …. all welcome
-- Paul M ..............If God wanted us to have fiberglass boats he would have given us fibreglass trees. http://thecanadianschooloffrenchmarquetry.com/