Don’t you just hate it when this happens !!
Today was supposed to be the day I finished this project. Tomorrow I was hoping to get it to the photographer’s. The next day I was going to post the completed cabinet. Oh well, maybe next week.
As I was finishing up sanding for what I hoped would be the last coat of wb poly on the box, I noticed a little flaw and thought I should probably sand it out. Well, apparently, I probably shouldn’t have. As I sanded the finish thin, it started to lift a little at the feather edge, so I pulled a little, then a little more. The piece in the foreground came off like 2 mil poly off a roll. After peeling the rest of the top I contacted the supplier to see what I had done wrong. Apparently the bond between the spray can poly and the wb poly can take several days to mature and if I had not messed with it it would most likely have been fine once the finish really hardened. .... Damn. The good news is that the dye was not affected so I’m set back a few days and about $25 worth of finish, but the piece will (may) survive.
Enough of my complaining. On with the job.
This segment is not as sexy as the leaf dying stuff but it is a critical part of the job. This is where the alignments that will make or break the piece are made. Because the miters and the hinges are already fitted and can’t be adjusted, it becomes absolutely critical that the veneers go on to the MDF parts with precision. A small movement of a veneer on a panel while being pressed in the vacuum bag and one of the grain matches on a corner will be off or worse the panel crossing inlays won’t line up. There’s really no fixing that. So this photo shows after careful positioning of the part on it’s veneer it is taped in place to prevent movement.
In this one you can see alignment marks in the hinge recesses to double check alignment after the vacuum is applied.
Once out of the press the miters are re-trimmed exactly on the MDF line.
After veneering the outsides the side and door panels must have the veneer chips harvested out of their recesses to be installed on the ends of the corresponding hinge segment in the opposing part. Here they are being fitted in thier new positions. They were marked for re-positioning before being removed. I used the scroll saw to remove them.
Now the inside veneers have been applied and all the interior finishing has been done . Here the parts are laid out in assembly position insides up. The tape was to mask the glue areas before spraying.
I assemble the miter box by first aligning the back and side panels to a straight line at the top and then, with the sharp edges tight together, I tape them with packing tape.
Then, after applying glue, I stand it up and pull the front edges together until the miters are square. The packing tape squeezes the outside edges and prevents glue from escaping onto the outside veneer.
Last to be done are the top and bottom. They are glued down with clamps. There is not a lot of pressure on these clamps but it is vital that all the sharp miter edges are in complete contact. Here the top is being glued in. The bottom is not a miter. It fits up inside in a rebate. There is no metal or fastening other than glue used here.
Finally, when it’s all glued up and it is still in alignment, grain and inlays, you can relax those butt cheeks you’ve been squeezing for the last couple of weeks.
It’s been a long day. I’m done.
Thanks as always and you know the rules: questions, comments critiques welcome as always.
Happy Thanksgiving to my neighbors to the South. And Alaska too.
-- Paul M ..............If God wanted us to have fiberglass boats he would have given us fibreglass trees. http://thecanadianschooloffrenchmarquetry.com/