Here’s a blog on the progress of my 2×4 project for the Winter Awards Contest. It’s not completed yet, I still need to put some hinges on it and clean it up before I post it as an entry but it’s almost there. I should be ready to enter it this weekend.
I nearly spent as much time deciding what to build and then figuring the cut list, as I did actually building the project. So here’s he cut list first.
I’m showing the 2×4 in two four foot sections so I could get it to fit in the post legibly. The actual deminsions ended up being a tad smaller than what’s shown after jointing, planing and sanding. The resawed sections are 1/2” thick and the panels are more like 3 1/4” in the finished product. There isn’t much of that 2×4 left to waste, cutting the pieces drove me a little nuts.
I started out with my 2×4
And cut the sections that were being resawed to width first. From those I cut the rails, styles, panels, and bottom of the box to length on the SCMS.
I used the table saw to rip the rails and syles to width then I ran the rails, styles, and raised panels over the router table. I had to use my portable router table since I haven’t finished buillding the new one for the shop yet
This was particularly challenging for me since I’m not used to working with small pieces like this. I did the detail sanding and shaping first.
Then taking a lesson from Doug Bordner, I put the finish on the pieces before any glue up. In one of his posts Doug mentioned using masking tape to protect the joinery that will be glued up later and applying the finish prior to final assembly, making it easier to finish the inside of the box. This also helped me out since I used two different stains to add contrasting colors and give the illusion of there being two different types of wood here.
Both stains are from Minwax, the darker color is Sedona Red #222 and the lighter is Golden Pecan #245
Here’s some close ups
This will be the back of the box
Here’s the sides
and the front
I was going for an early american colonial look so I sanded the center of the panels into irregular shapes and added some dings here and there to make the box look old and worn.
Here’s a general idea of where I’m going with this
Then I started in on the lid and bottom.
The lid floats in a frame. I routed the grooves about 1/4” deeper than they needed to be then slipped some flexible tubing in them to keep the panel centered while leaving room for expansion.
Here’s a couple shots showing the bottom and the legs
Here’s a couple of dry fit shots to give you a better idea of where I’m headed
I used a stacked dado to cut 1/4” grooves into all the sides
and routed a 1/4” tounge into the bottom so it would float as well
Here’s some shots of where I’m at now. The lid is just resting on the box for the pictures.
I’m off to go pick up some hinges so I can get the lid attached, clean it up, put one last coat of wax on it, and get it entered in the contest.
-- I've cut that board three times and it's still too short!