My wife and I moved into our current house, along with the six cats, a little over two years ago. Since then the basement has served triple duty as 1) completely unorganized storage, mostly stuff from the prevous owners, 2) laundry room, and 3) my workshop. After two and half years of being frustrated with the mess we decided it wasn’t going to improve on its own and we needed to do something about it.
So we moved all the big stuff that we figured we’d be keeping out to the garage, rented a 15yd dumpster and rolled up our sleeves for a weekend. We tore out the makeshift walls that were there, sorted through all the junk, and just kept tossing things into the dumpter until it was full. Here’s what we ended up with.
The house was built in the 1930’s and overall the basement stays surprisingly dry. But as you can see the walls are in need of some help.
We did find a couple of areas with some minor seepage but those were quickly remedied with some gutter repair and concrete crack sealer.
Ultimately, we want to end up with a real laundry room, storage room, half bath, a small rec room/sitting area, and as much shop space as I can negotiate out of this deal. ;)
I wanted to get the storage area going first so I could get some stuff out of my way. I acid washed the walls & floor and applied some Dry-Lock waterproofer just in case.
I used this in the area that used to be the shop and if nothing else it does a good job of keeping the concrete dust down.
I found the doors off to the left of this picture propped up on some saw horses covered with a tarp being used as a table. One of them is the other half of the french doors that used to separate the dining/living rooms upstairs. The wall that used to separate them was removed turnng them into one big room and the other half of this french door was installed in the kitchen. I now have, what I think is, all the original doors to the house which just may find their way back home.
I built shelves for the storage room and got some stuff up off the floor.
I thought this was pretty odd.
Before we started gutting the place, this was sort of a rag-tag shower. It was nothing more than some painted plywood nailed to a frame with a shower head and a floor drain. I had someone tell me that it’s pretty common in older houses built in “mill cities”. The husband would come home filthy from a day at the factory and would head to the basement and wash up before comming into the house. Not sure how true it is but it’s kind of a neat story. Either way I’m hoping for a 4” drain line in the floor. This is where the half bath is going and it would be nice if I didn’t have to bust up the floor.
Here’s some of what used to be the shop which now serves as an area to toss stuff while I’m working on the rest of the place.
-- I've cut that board three times and it's still too short!