LumberJocks

Patio Table #1: Getting Started

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by shaun posted 09-22-2007 02:02 PM 1002 reads 0 times favorited 1 comment Add to Favorites Watch
no previous part Part 1 of Patio Table series Part 2: More Challenges »

This project started out as a conversation with a co-worker who was shopping for patio furniture. They found a web site with a set that they really liked but were having a hard time comming to terms with the $2,800 (plus shipping) price tag. I was a little curious to see what a $3K patio set looked like so we logged on to the web site. I was expecting to see a huge set with seating for 8, reclining chairs, lots of accessories included, awnings, and maybe a built in TV. What I saw was a 4 ft round table and four chairs BUT….. everything was teak.

I explained how the wood selection was affecting the price tag and inserted a gentle remider that they weren’t shopping at a discount store, this was nice stuff. A little deeper into the conversation I learned what it was about the table that was appealing, they had found less expensive sets that were close but didn’t quite do it. Being the Lumber Jock that I am I said “well I could build that and it won’t cost ya three grand” then added “but it won’t be teak”. We agreed on western red cedar then armed with a picture of the set I was off and running.

Here’s what it’s supposed to look like when I’m done -http://www.westminsterteak.com/wt/product_details.php?product_id=70027

Here’s the challenges – All I had was a picture, no mateials list, no cut list, no plans. I later learned that the only western red cedar readily available to me was 4/4 and there’s going to be more than one part that needs to be thicker than that.

I started out at the QuicCad desk and came up wiith this as a starting point:
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

The idea for the top is that I would build two octagons 3/4” thick to get me to the 1 1/2” that I wanted for the frame then offset them 22.5 degrees so that the joints on the top piece didn’t line up with the joints on the bottom piece then glue the two pieces together before routing them into their final shape.

The boards used in the bottom section are wider than those used for the top so that after I glued them together I could cut the inside diameter of the bottom piece to leave me a ledge that the slats would sit on.

-- I've cut that board three times and it's still too short!



1 comment so far

View MsDebbieP's profile

MsDebbieP

18615 posts in 3625 days


#1 posted 09-23-2007 12:39 PM

backtracking, from further on in your series, this is a nice surprise to find your drawing AND the story behind the project.
Fascinating.

-- ~ Debbie, Canada (https://www.facebook.com/DebbiePribeleENJOConsultant)

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com