LumberJocks

Arm Height Adjustment gear problem

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by sfglass posted 03-14-2016 09:16 PM 894 reads 0 times favorited 0 comments Add to Favorites Watch

I inherited a Tpc 2610 a few years ago. When I got it it had been sitting in a carport type shed under a tarp for ten plus years. The table was half inch plywood and more of it had rotted away than was left. I have come to realize that the table on it was not the original table. More on that later. There was enough left though to get measurements from it and after I proved the saw ran and the arm would raise and lower (though stiffly) I reproduced the table with 3/4” mdf, cleaned up every thing and it worked good enough to invest in a new but inexpensive big box store blade.

We had just bought a foreclosure home and it did quite a bit of simple crosscut work, during the remodel process but the arm height adjustment was getting worse as time went on until it finally quit altogether. I turned it on its side enough to see that one of the bevel gears had lost a couple of teeth. Back under the tarp it went.That was a bit over a year ago.

I recently retired and am in the process of putting together my shop (wood, welding, wrenching). It was time to either fix or dispose of the old saw. I figured if I tore the saw down far enough to get the gear out and I was not able to replace or repair it at least it would be in smaller pieces and would be more easily disposed of.

The gear is a cast pot metal affair. My stick welder was not going to make anything stick so I had a machine shop Tigg weld over the broken gears then I ground out the new gears with a Dremel and files. Check out the link here to see how that worked. https://www.dropbox.com/s/wg6w9m51i2t7mv3/Radial%20Arm%20Saw%20Gear%20Repair.wmv?dl=0

I now have the RAS together and so far the gear is holding up. The entire column was cleaned, polished and lubed and runs up and down smooth as silk.

The table needs to come apart again as I have figured out that the table I copied from was an inaccurate remake itself. The main “stationary” table is too deep (too close to the column) there were no “leveling screws” installed, and there should be two pieces that make up the distance between the rear of the main table and the clamps (in addition to the fence). I plan on putting a 1/4” sacrificial cover over the new table, and I’ll bring the saw height up to match my table saw and assembly table.

Now the antique band saw, jointer and scroll saw stories will have to wait till later.



0 comments so far

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com