I had a challenge for the past month. My father in-law bought a 1973 fiberglass haul boat. He asked me to just fasten the new seats to the deck and check out a soft spot in the deck next to the drivers area. When I finally got to look at the boat, I could tell it had been sitting around for some time. When I finally started to take things apart to get a better look, I found that the soft spot was caused by the supporting ply-wood being decade to the point of not even existing. I fastened some aluminum “L” brackets to help support it. That helps but it is still there. In the front part of the boat ( in front of the driver ), it looks like there might have been seats at one time. Currently there was nothing but holes for any water or snow to fall in and rot out the supports. I bought some exterior grade ply-wood and some epoxy resin. I cut the ply-wood to size then applied the epoxy resin to all sides of the ply-wood. I then fastened the ply-wood down with stainless steel screws and caulk, all in the hope to keep out as much water from getting to the rest of the supports as possible. The seats are fastened and as far as I know I’m DONE!! It was deffinitly a learning experiance. I had fun and learned about boats.
|Blog entry by seth||posted 06-08-2008 01:44 AM||571 reads||0 times favorited||5 comments|