I picked up a pair of bench vises a while back at the local thrift store. $5 for two, only problem is they were missing the female parts (Nut and backing plate). $5 still seemed like a fair enough deal, so I purchased them. I half hoped I would turn up the missing pieces over the next couple of weeks, but no such luck.
The plan was to build a proper wood-working bench and put these into use; fast forward about a year and I finally had enough of them taking up space and decided to see what could be done.
I was able to source the correct acme thread nut at my local hardware store. $5 a piece which was not cheap, but well worth it to get me working and support a phenomenal local hardware store which actually carries hardware and is usually cheaper than the local big box.
Coupled with some scrap bar-stock, I set about getting the nut tacked into place.
Everything was pretty straight forward, about the only tricky aspect was getting the holes lined up where the vice parts went through the wood frame of my bench.
Then mounted the newly fabricated plate to the inside.
It ain’t pretty; but it works and gave me some good lessons learned on how to fabricate the next one better. For the time being, I’ve got it mounted to my mobile chop saw stand. Not sure yet how functional it will be. At the least, it’s off the project shelf and it gave me a little more experience with welding and metal working.