I used to really enjoy sanding. Give me a nice big flat surface, some headphones perhaps a beer or two (or three; I’m Irish) and I could sand uninterrupted for hours. With this project, I have met my match. Those irregular surfaces are just brutal… as was the wood itself.
Not only did I meet my match, but so did my sander. The velcro pad is pretty well toast (2nd one) I blew a hole through the dust collection bag and the bearings are starting to go as it sounds like a combination between a jet engine and jack-hammer. For an $80 dollar tool, I couldn’t have asked for more. In the past 3 years it has seen hundreds of hours of use and abuse.
In all it’s glory from an earlier project;
In terms of hours spent sanding, I’ve really lost track; I put a good 5 in today sanding mostly from 220 to 400. Perhaps 20 to 25 would be a good estimate. while I would love to say that I’ve eliminated all the sanding marks, that is not the case, there are a few (hopefully well hidden) that remain. However, in terms of my sanity it was time to move on.
Here the bench is all sanded and ready for finishing
and here is what the first coat of stain looks like
I am going with Minwax’s natural stain. I’ve been very happy using this on light woods like Pine to bring out depth and character. The darkness imparted is not much different than that of an oil finish.
Tomorrow, I’ll start applying shellac and hopefully by end of next week I’ll have the bottom finished and then can tackle the top.
I still need to figure out a base of some type for this. I’ve got a few thoughts on working with a local blacksmith to forged some metal legs (No hair-pin legs)
That’s all for now. Thank you for reading.