Things have progressed nicely over the past few days. After a good 30 minutes of study, I laid out some chalk lines to square up the live edges.
Then went to work ripping with a combination of the old cross-cut and a small rip-saw on the sections that were thin enough for that to be effective.
It’s about time put a fresh edge on the old crosscut. Things really started bogging down during these cuts. I was able to muscle through, and am pretty pleased with how the project is starting to take shape. The plan is to craft this into a bench.
With the major cuts out of the way, I turned my attention to trying to smooth out and level the surface. I have a router and jig with a 1.5 inch (3.8 cm) surfacing planing bit, which I am very fond of, but I also have a #6 Bailey Plane that I picked up at a thrift shop and have had sitting unused in the garage.
Having made it this far with old hand tools, I decided to put a fresh edge on the hand plane and give things a go. Mind you, I’ve never used a hand plane before, so this is virgin territory.
Things went ok-ish. I am hopeful a fellow Galoot (or experienced hand planer) can see what may be wrong.
Some sections of the log cut as smooth as butter, other portions the blade would just grab and when I was able to make progress would only produced a fine powder while leaving a very rough surface. For lack of a better terms, it’s like the end grain was mixed in the the regular grain. Perhaps that’s the nature of this being a root burl and being very dry.
I tried shallower, deeper, firmer, lighter passes and it didn’t seem to make a difference. The only thing that seemed to help was changing the angel of approach; but this still left a very rough surface. About the only thing left I can think of is to put a better edge on the blade.
The lower section of the log was much easier, I was able to produce clean shavings and the surface was pretty smooth.
Thanks for reading. If any one can give me some tips for more effective planing, I would be greatly appreciative.