I was so thrilled to have such a productive weekend! Even though I am 'busy' most days, it sometimes seems like there are times when we feel like we are working hard and in the end, little is accomplished. (Or little is noticed, anyway!) But this weekend, we made big strides on both our home organizational project that we began a couple of months ago, and also I made progress on my "Scary-Go-Round" Haunted Carousel. I woke up today ready to take on another week and the world in general. I love when I feel like this!
First of all, I am going to show you the final result of our organizational project that we did for our wall of electronics that is in our main living area. Here is a photo of the "before" look:
It worked for us for a while, but we felt that it was rather messy looking and a bit of an eyesore. From left to right, the components are as follows:
-Left speakers (Large black bottom speakers are sub-woofers which Keith built. The tops speakers are the NEW high and mid-range speakers that is built over the winter (much nicer and better sounding than the previous ones we had)
-Then comes Keith's computer
-Next is TV stand with shelves for components – Top shelf holds modem, phone module (we get our phone service through the computer using Vonage – we can call all over the world with it), router on the top shelf, the main amp is on the middle shelf, and the sub-woofer amp is on the bottom. The new amp that Keith built is the light colored component to the right, standing on its side.
-Next are the right speakers.
-Then that's my computer.
-Finally, our old Canon Printer sitting on top of our Canon scanner.
We both have remote monitors and wireless keyboards and mice and each monitor is held into place with a modular arm at our respective ends of our couch. Everything is networked together and the sound systems are shared using optical connections. We are even able to share our computer screens on the large TV monitor. We have no cable service and watch all of our shows through the computer. You could say that this wall is our entire communication system
While we have seen worse, we still felt this was rather messy looking. When we decided to upgrade to a better and larger printer and new speakers, we thought we would also make new furniture to custom fit the pieces and make everything look nicer and more like 'furniture' and less like a dorm room.
Keith gets all the credit for the builds. His electronics background helped him create some WICKED sounding speakers. Everything we play – from shows to our favorite music – sounds wonderful. the music is crisp and clear and the movies and shows are also wonderful. He did a great job! My job was to paint the components. I used DecoArt's Multi-Surface Satin paint for all the pieces.
This is a great furniture piant that dries to a durable, satiny finish. It requires no undercoat OR top sealer which makes it fast and easy. It levels out so nicely, too and there are vertually no brush strokes. Everything that I used it on looks professionally finished. And like all DecoArt products, it is water based for easy clean up and has no odor. And because it dries so quickly (I could really add another coat within about 15 minutes) it allows you to get the job done fast. While it is recommended to allow it to cure for seven days, after a couple of hours it is completely dry to the touch and has no tacky or sticky feel like most of these types of paint have. I have used it on several of my much used furniture pieces already and I can attest to the durability and beauty.
I finished painting the TV stand/shelving unit on Saturday. Then yesterday, we spent the day re-wiring and reorganizing the entire wall of components. Here is the finished result:
Isn't it awesome? (I am sorry for the glare in the photo. I had back lighting from the window)
From left to right it is as follows:
-Left speakers (NEW subs on the bottom – Much more attractive and they sound completely awesome!)
-I put a little storage trunk in the space so the kitties could get up to look out the window.
-TV stand which holds all three amps.
-Computer/printer stand which holds our new, larger printer, cordless headphones on the top shelf, Keith's and my computer on the bottom, and in the middle section there are three shelves which hold the modem, router, phone component and telephone. Everything is beautiful and neat and you can actually see the floor.
I promise to show more photos of the wiring and details later. You would not believe the amount of wires and things that are back there. Even with all of our 'wireless' components (mice, keyboards, printer, etc.) there were TONS of wires to deal with to get everything connected properly. But it all worked as soon as we cranked it up. Keith did a great job!
We didn't finish until around supper time. It wasn't until then when I was able to BEGIN painting on my carousel. I worked on it until about midnight and I completed the floor of the carousel. Here is a little peek at it:
I am thrilled with it so far. Today I will work on the cieling and the finale that goes at the top. Then on to the benches and the central pillar. I hope to have it close to being done by the weekend.
I wanted to also quickly mention that Keith created and posted two new patterns for you to enjoy. His first one is SLDK585 When Prayers Go Up . . Plaque:
And the second one is SLDK586 Let Your Faith Plaque Pattern:
We hope you enjoy them.
I can't wait to get to painting on the ceiling of my "Scary-Go-Round" today. As I complete each component, I get more and more excited. I hope you enjoyed seeing our little organizational makeover, too. We hope it is inspiring to you and encourages you to do your own 'makeover'!
Happy Monday, everyone!
-- Designer/Artist/Teacher. Owner of Sheila Landry Designs (http://www.sheilalandrydesigns.com) Scroll saw, wood working and painting patterns and surfaces. "Knowledge is Power"