I didn't post this weekend because I was in the middle of several different projects. We are hoping to do our site update this week and I had some ideas for new scroll sawing patterns that I wanted to work on. I did that along with working on painting the first piece of furniture that Keith built for our reorganizing project.
If you remember, the first piece was a printer stand that would also hold the bodies of our two computers and also the modem and router:
Since this is the first of two units that will be placed along the same wall – we wanted it customized to fit our equipment and also we wanted it to match the other pieces (which will include a stand for our TV monitor and amplifiers as well as new speakers that Keith built. He is very particular about having the sizes match each other and hopefully the overall look of things will be attractive and also use our space to the best of our advantage.
We used thick, high grade plywood (3/4" – 1") because we don't want the pieces sagging over time. It was quite expensive per sheet and very heavy, but we felt it would do the best job.
I used DecoArt's Mulit-Surface Satin paint to paint the piece.
I really absolutely love this paint. It is water-based, odor-free and needs no prep (primer) or top finish coat. It dries to a hard, durable satin (low lustre) finish that is chip resistant and hard and perfect for this type of project. I had painted some small pieces using it and I was so impressed with its superior adhesion and hard finish. When we did our last organizational upgrade, we used an expensive paint that was (I think!) Benjamin Moore. It remained 'tacky' for quite a while and it marked and showed wear nearly immediately. It also didn't go on very evenly and we had to fight with it to look decent. We weren't very happy with it at all.
It was a true pleasure to use this product. I used a 2" brush to do the cutting in the corners and to paint most of the inside shelves and braces and I used a small, 4" rollar to paint the top and bottom areas. The general piece received two coats, but I added a third coat on the top just because I wanted it to be extra nice. For the piece this size, with all the shelves and braces it only took one and a half bottles of the paint.
Here is the result:
It looks neat, clean and within about an hour the finish was dry to the touch. We are going to leave it 'cure' for several days while I do other things and work on some patterns, but I am pretty sure that it is hard enough that if I wanted to set things up right now, it would be fine. Again – this is a great product for painted furniture that gets a lot of use. It made the entire painting process easy and pleasurable. The finished piece looks great!
I spent pretty much the rest of the weekend drawing and cutting. I have two more small (5" – 6") box patterns that I finished that I am in the process of cutting.
All of these new patterns are of a Celtic theme. The box on the left is in a clover shape with a pretty Celtic clover on the lid, as well as matching ornaments/coasters that will fit inside the box. The box lid on the right also has a Celtic flavor to it, but includes a full capitol alphabet with a monogram. I decided to use my Wacom tablet and pen and draw my own alphabet for the box. I am pretty pleased with the outcome and I also learned a lot about using the "Calligraphic Pen" tool in Adobe Illustrator along with my pen. I think it will be something nice and that the alphabet can be used for many other things.
I don't think I have ever seen a pattern for Celtic ornaments, and even if there is one, I know mine will be unique. I may try to shrink them down to a smaller size to see if they will work as pendants as well. That would add value to the pattern and make a beautiful set.
I got about half the stuff cut last night and I have a couple of hours ahead of me today. I hope to finish up on these and get them into packets within the next couple of days. I will show more of them finished up in tomorrow's post.
We got more snow yesterday and they are forecasting additional snow for this week. Our temperatures won't be above -6 all week, so it looks as if winter is here to stay for a while. I really don't mind though, as I am warm and busy and getting lots accomplished here.
I hope you all had a great weekend. For those of you hit hard with winter, I hope that spring comes to your area soon. I have to run out to do errands and go to the post office, but other than that I am here to work and accomplish and as long as we have power, all is well.
Have a wonderful Monday and a great week ahead!
-- Designer/Artist/Teacher. Owner of Sheila Landry Designs (http://www.sheilalandrydesigns.com) Scroll saw, wood working and painting patterns and surfaces. "Knowledge is Power"