I always like sharing my triumphs here on the blog. It feels great to accomplish something positive and be able to share it with you all, my readers. But sometimes when I do something, it doesn't work out exactly as I have planned. (I know! Hard to believe, right???) I never mind telling you all about those times either though because I really want people to understand that being successful does NOT mean having everything work out perfectly every time. Anyone who tells you different is lying. We all stumble from time to time and we all have our successes and failures.
I think that admitting that we did something wrong and adjusting or trying again is part of every designing process. No matter how well thought out an idea may be, the actual implementation of that idea is what really is important. Things may look fine and good on paper, but once one actually makes the build or paints the picture, it may not be quite as one expected.
Such is what happened to me yesterday.
Now it isn't a really big deal and certainly one that can be fixed, but it is bothersome enough to me to feel really HAPPY that I like to cut my own prototypes and asses my designs myself. In order for me to feel really good and confident about the designs I am offering, I like to actually make them. Now I know that sometimes on flat plaques and things I rely on the computer to create the pictures for the patterns (and I see nothing wrong with that in certain circumstances – like when I am making a plaque) but especially when I am building a three dimensional piece, I really like to cut it myself so I can really make sure my drawings and all are correct. Besides – I like cutting.
Yesterday I finished cutting my SLD489 Layered Heart Damask Boxes (the link won't work until I post the product in a couple of days) and I lovingly sanded and finished it using several coats of spry shellac. I love the way the maple and walnut looked when finished with shellac. The soft sheen really brings out the grain without looking plastic-y. In between things, I worked on transferring files and setting up my new hard drive on my computer. For the past several days I had been waiting for the drive to arrive and things were just 'out of place'.
I was getting ready to glue the pieces together for the rings of the boxes last night when I dry fit them together and something struck me – the box was too "tall". :(
You may not see it here, but it definitely looked too tall for the width. When I pulled out the top trim ring (the walnut one) I liked the look of the box much better:
Here is a picture of it with my hand in so you can see the size:
I liked that much better. However, if I were to pul one of the rings out of the center (which I need to do because the bottom is solid and the top is the trim ring with a smooth and routed edge) than the color sequence of the maple and walnut pieces would look out of whack. It just wouldn't be what I envisioned.
Now there are many solutions to this problem to choose. I could just allow the two walnut pieces to be on the top two layers and keep the two maple on the bottom. I could use all five layers, but cut them from thinner wood (maybe planed to 1/4" instead of 3/8ths. or I could simply re-cut the walnut ring and have the three side pieces done in maple and only the trim ring in the accent walnut color. I think I will choose the third option.
Of course, I am sure I will get many different opinions as to which one to choose. I find that people are as diverse as the options presented to them. But my own personal taste is what I will follow on this one, as I need to feel good about what I am doing and I really think this will be more attractive. So it is back to the saw for me today.
On the 'good news' side, I think the box came out really beautiful. The two options for the lids are shown here:
One option is to make the lid entirely patterned in the Damask design. The other is a monogram. The pattern will include the entire alphabet, and I also included the lower case lettering so that my customers can use it with other projects.
I am finishing this up today as well as the other heart-themed project. Hopefully I will be able to get the patterns together today as well. We will just have to see how it goes.
In closing today, I want to show you some photos from Sergio Marsala who is a customer. He used Keith's SLDK315 Family Plaque Design and a re-purposed headboard to make a wonderful deacon's bench:
At the top and center of the back of the bench, it added Keith's Family plaque:
After building the base, he added the seat:
And then painted it with chalky finish paint for a distressed look:
It makes a beautiful piece for an entryway or anywhere:
Both Keith and I love seeing others use our designs in this way. It is great to see that our customers are using our patterns for their own unique designs and applications. I wanted to share it with you all so that it may inspire you to also think of other ways you can use your own patterns. I think it is lovely.
Well, that will be all for today. It is snowing large flakes out today and a bit grey. The rain from the past few days had wiped the landscape of snow and it we were due to have more fall. But I don't mind. Besides my quick trip to the post office, I can stay inside here and work. It will be a good day.
I wish you all a wonderful Wednesday. Be happy and do something fun and creative!
-- Designer/Artist/Teacher. Owner of Sheila Landry Designs (http://www.sheilalandrydesigns.com) Scroll saw, wood working and painting patterns and surfaces. "Knowledge is Power"