This weekend was splendid! I finally was caught up enough to do some things around the house that I have been meaning to do for quite a while. My little 'all season tree' is now beautifully decorated in a cute, Halloween theme (you will have to come back tomorrow to see that – I have too many photos to show today!) and not only did I do some major cleaning, but I cooked a great Sunday dinner and I plowed through a fairly large pile of "UFO's" and got them all pretty much completed.
I feel "accomplished"!
Some of you may wonder what I am referring to when I say "UFO's". While I think most of you know only too well what they are, I will take the time to explain them here.
When I design a project (especially a painting project) I usually need to create the project twice in order to make a pattern of it. The first time is rather on a whim – as I paint and design as I go along and many things can change from the original piece to the finished piece during the painting process. Once this first piece is completed, I then begin over – recreating the piece in a logical order and taking step-by-step photos along the way. This insures that I have all the steps just right and that the finished project matches the pattern perfectly.
I am sure that many designers have different ways of doing things, but this is what works for me and I feel comfortable with it being that way. The only flaw that I see in this system is that I often get 'lazy' at the end and leave one or both of the versions "unfinished" on the backs or in some other way. After all – I only need the final pieces for the pattern and site photograph (unless it is going to the magazines) so when I am pressed for time, I don't really go back and finish them up. It would probably horrify you all to see the many boxes of UFO's that reside in my storage!
Last year I gave away many of my nice Halloween pieces and ornaments. That left me with only the UFO versions of these projects. Since I really wanted to use some of them for decorating and giving away this fall, I knew I had better get busy and get them completed.
Here is what I started out with on Saturday:
You can see there are quite a few different things that needed "something". Everything here needed some part of something finished, be it backs painted, varnish applied, hangers added or even gluing together. While each of these steps is small in itself, when multiplied by so many pieces, it took a great deal of time.
But I did well and I stayed focused and by the end of the weekend everything was painted and glued and rhinestones were added. I want to say the rhinestones were the most fun to do, and I wound up spending Saturday night applying them to the masks as well as some other things. I think the results were wonderful!
These are my SLD210 Haunted Masquerade Painting Pattern masks with stones added:
I think they just looked amazing! The rhinestones made some very simple painting look very rich and pretty:
When I looked at them altogether, they just SPARKLED!
I fell in love with them all over again!
I also had to finish adding stones to my scroll sawn versions of decorative masks – My SLD416 - 6 Masquerade Ball Ornaments:
While one of the masks needs repair, the rest lok really beautiful. The rhinestones again look lovely on the natural wood color.
And finally, I wanted to spruce up my SLD320 Gothic Bats Candle Tray.
This has been one of my all time favorite pieces, and while I loved it, I thought it would look better with some BLING on it. I don't think I was wrong!
I just LOVE it! As usual, all my rhinestones are from Rhinestone Canada. I love their hot-fix stones and they really are fun, fast and EASY to apply. I will never go back to gluing on stones again! And they stick really well, too! :)
And finally – I finished painting the last piece of my Terrye French Harvest Pull Toy project. I had cut several of these sets for others this week and I couldn't wait to finish my own set up! I had one more figure to complete, and I did that and added some cute Spanish moss around the bases. I also added LOTS of sparkly Glamour Dust Glitter Paint to give them a shimmer:
They found a permanent home (at least until the Christmas stuff comes out!) above my kitchen cabinets. I think they look darling there!
I also got my little tree done as well as some other fun decorations displayed, but I will show you them all later on in the week. That way I have something fun to show you while I am drawing!
Here is a little peek of one of my decorations:
Keith doesn't always understand why I have the need to decorate. I suppose some people just don't. I love to have things around me that make me smile and help me enjoy the season. We have a very small place here, so I try not to go overboard, but having a few cute things around really makes things much more cheerful and pleasant. And besides . . . it is FUN!
I hope you all had a wonderful weekend as well. Today I am going to get back to drawing after filling a couple of orders that I had over the weekend. We have been very fortunate to be very busy and taking this small break to do some things for myself really did wonders for me. I really made a big dent in my “UFO” pile and I feel very eager to tackle new projects and get back to work. It's going to be a great week!
Happy Monday to you all!
-- Designer/Artist/Teacher. Owner of Sheila Landry Designs (http://www.sheilalandrydesigns.com) Scroll saw, wood working and painting patterns and surfaces. "Knowledge is Power"