Today's post will be rather short. I spent the day yesterday writing the pattern packets for the little sea life ornaments. I created two packets – one which uses the regular painting methods and the other using Margot Clark's MUD texture paste. I will be adding both patterns and the wood piece kits to my Etsy site later on today. I will have it on my Sheila Landry Designs site with the next update. :)
I finished right around dinner time last night, and then I spent the evening relaxing and I decided to work on my "A Perfect World" embroidery sampler. I was able to put the finishing touches on Panel 11. I must say that Panel 11 was not my favorite to do. There are a couple of reasons for this, and I will talk about them in a minute. First, the over photo of the panel:
The small purple flowers are the Pennyworts. I really liked doing them and I feel that my skills are improving. I was abale to leave the petals puffy and flowing without over tightening the ribbon. I was thrilled with them. :)
Now came the Cosmos.
This was not my favorite flower to embroider and I feel that is why it took me so long to do. The method used here was to iron interfacing to the back of the silk ribbon and then stitch the vein lines onto each petal. That was easy enough, but when you attached the 22 petals to the main piece, some of them needed to be curved upward. This caused you to see the interfacing on the back, which is white and I felt it was very distracting. I used a fabric marker to color in the underside of some of the petals, but I really don't like the look at all. I am debating whether to try to lift out some of the color with alcohol and fix it up or leave it. (Decisions, decisions!)
You can see on the flowers on the right (where the petals are turned up) what I am talking about. The over-saturation of pink looks better than the white did (trust me!) but I still don't like it. The centers came out fine and they helped make the overall flowers look better, but it is the first part of the piece that I am really not that happy with.
While I realize that in the overall work it will be far less noticable than the white backing, I can't help but feel that there had to be a better way to depict this flower. I am thinking it through. I may wind up tearing them out and trying again if I can think of a better method.
But no decisions need to be made at this moment. I have said all along that this would be a learning piece and it is my first attempt at this type of embroidery so I need to remember to be kind to myself and not beat myself up when things don't turn out perfect. While it is called "A Perfect World", I think that the only way it can "perfectly" depict the world is by also representing that our world is never really "perfect."
That's my story, and I am sticking to it! :)
Once again, the kit for this piece is on Di van Niekerk's website. She is a world class teacher and has the most beautiful materials to work with. Be sure to check it out if you want to treat your eyes!
Thank you for stopping by and I hope you all have a wonderful Monday!
-- Designer/Artist/Teacher. Owner of Sheila Landry Designs (http://www.sheilalandrydesigns.com) Scroll saw, wood working and painting patterns and surfaces. "Knowledge is Power"