I did get to work on my projects yesterday, but we also worked on the second of the three large closets that we are reorganizing and I must say that I am somewhat amazed at how quickly things fell into place. When we awoke in the morning, we never imagined that we would be completely finished with "Phase 2" of our organizational project, and I must say we are very pleased with the results.
The closet we worked on was the third of the three along our hallway wall. It had several shelves and a small cabinet built in.
On the bottom shelves, I stored my painting and craft magazine collection, which I do refer to often. I have many years of full issues of Paintworks, Quick and Easy Painting, The Decorative Painter, Create and Decorate and a couple of other home-dec magazines. I find that they are all treasuries of patterns and ideas and I wouldn't part with them for anything. I organized them last year and every one of them is in date order and I can acces anything in seconds. I removed these magazines and for now at least, they are located on the top shelf of the first closet. They all fit on one shelf, with room to spare (and GROW!)
Inside the cabinet we kept small sorting box cases. Each case holds small hardward and things of that nature, plus some other small tools.
Most of our hand tools were in plastic shoe boxes, which were cracking from the weight of things. The larger cases were also filled with hand tools. As you can see, it is really an unorganized mess. The top shelf holds my embroidery supplies and some other general supplies (like ribbons) that I use in my everyday work.
The first order of business was to empty things out. After I relocated my magazines and books, Keith got to work taking out the shelves and cabinets.
We had seen a nice tool box set at Home Depot a couple of weeks ago when we went to New Minas and Helifax. We were driving the Miata at the time and there was no way we could get it. When Keith was in Yarmouth the other day, he saw another one at Canadian Tire that was on sale and similar, but when we measured things up, it was too big to fit through the door opening. So we decided to head to New Minas and get the set from Home Depot. Fortunately, it was on sale, and while it is not what would be considered a "high end" cabinet, it was perfectly adequate for our use and the price was definitely right. (Both pieces were under $400)
Now our problem was getting it here. We own a Miata, a Mustang convertible and a Sunfire as our vehicles. We called our friend Bernie to see if we could use his van for the pickup, but he was going to be out for the day. Us being us we didn't want to wait and ultimately decided that Keith would make the two hour trip alone and fit the pieces in the Mustang. I stayed here and worked on my stuff for the magazine and Keith made the trip. I wish I would have snapped a photo of how he looked coming home with the large pieces in the car. We used thick wool blankets to protect the leather seats and the bottom piece just fit in the back seat – but only after the top was down. The top piece fit on the passenger seat and while it was a tight fit, it did work. He had to remove the pieces from the boxes to load them in, but they did make it here. This time Richard appointed himself as "inspector":
He tested out the drawers to see if they were sturdy enough:
And gave two "paws up!"
The tool chests fit perfectly! (Measuring paid off!) and there was even room for the broom and mop that was in Closet #1 and could no longer fit there because of the shelving. We decided we didn't want the wheels, but attached blocks of wood and felt to the bottom of the cabinet so that we could easily slide it out for the occasional cleaning behind it. We wanted that extra room for a small shelf above, which will hold the cases of hardware.
(What a difference!!)
We even had the foresight to leave enough room above the cabinet to open the top. Sometimes two heads are truly better than one!
For now I am leaving my embroidery supplies on that top shelf. I may move them over to closet #1, as there are still three full shelves vacant there. We disposed of many of the large cases that our hand tools came in and they all fit neatly into the chest, and things are far more organized and neat. No more rooting through cracked shoe boxes looking for a screwdriver or pliers! We are both thrilled! I also have more room up on my top shelf to add some other things. We feel great about our progress so far!
But there is more to do and I will try to remember to document it as we go along. We still haven't brought anything into the basement where we have a full closet as well as my "new" area to store things. It feels GREAT to be so organized and be where everything has a place!
Today I will continue to work on my projects. They are coming along well, too. But this is long enough for now so I will get moving.
I hope you have a great day and I hope you enjoyed seeing what we are up to.
Have a great Wednesday! :)
-- Designer/Artist/Teacher. Owner of Sheila Landry Designs (http://www.sheilalandrydesigns.com) Scroll saw, wood working and painting patterns and surfaces. "Knowledge is Power"