Yesterday was not the best day. I will admit that.
However – the day served an important purpose, as it was a glimpse for me as to how things could be if I permitted it to be so. It was a sober reminder of just how powerful attitudes are and how detrimental letting negative thought getting hold of you can be. It was uncomfortable and troubling for me. But I feel I learned so much – or at least I was reminded of so much. Therefore, it was an important day.
After writing my blog and settling in to do the work of the day, Keith and I began discussing our plans. We made the error of searching on the internet to see what the weather would be and were once again greeted by the horrors of the apocalyptic system that was heading our way. We read of blizzard-like conditions on Wednesday and accumulations of anywhere from 25 cm of snow to 50 (that’s about 10 – 20 inches) with winds in excess of 100 km. It would certainly be the end of the world for Nova Scotia. Our weather channel was even referring to it as another “White Jaun” – which was the name they gave the blizzard that occurred between Feb 17 and 20th in the year 2004, which ironically was during my first visit to Canada and Nova Scotia. Funny though – I don’t remember anything more than what I thought was ‘typical’ snow. Coming from Chicago, we were used to snow and snowstorms in the winter. I had grown up with it and it was just part of my life.
In any case, Keith and I toyed with the idea that we would perhaps leave BEFORE the storm. After all, it wasn’t due to arrive until late Tuesday and Wednesday. If we left late Monday or early Tuesday, we would probably be able to make it to Maine before the worst of it set in.
We called to see if my tires arrived in Yarmouth, and were informed that they were due to come in late in the afternoon. We looked at what we had left to prepare, and unfortunately we needed to pick up some supplies for the class while we were getting the tires in Yarmouth – including paper to print the class material. That would mean that we would have to really push to get things ready to get out the door and leave and beat out the storm.
The mounting stress was incredible for me. When I thought I had three days left to prepare over the weekend I felt calm and peaceful. This quickly turned to feeling anxious and unsure of myself, along with worrying if we would be able to outrun the system. Add to that two additional days on the road and away from our business, home and our three cats. I just wasn’t ready.
It seemed to me that we were fighting too hard to make things work. We fell into the trap of propaganda and almost put ourselves at great risk because of it. Whatever channel we turned to, they all agreed on one thing – the system would hit hard, but move through the area quickly and be gone by Thursday (our original departure day.) There came a point when we decided that we were safer to stick to the original plan. The risk would be greater of running into trouble than travelling through the aftermath, that is for sure. After all – we live in CANADA and they are well-rehearsed with dealing with systems such as this. Throwing everything together and trying to outrun a storm would have been sheer foolishness on our part. What were were thinking trying to leave ahead of things?
So we took a breath, and we turned off the reports and we started thinking RATIONALLY. And things began to fall together.
We did decide to leave the Mustang home here. Even though Keith’s Sunbird is older and a bit smaller, it is our workhorse winter car. It has never let us down. We did decide that it needed two additional new tires (the other two were changed in the autumn) and we were able to pick appropriate ones off the shelf. We did our Yarmouth errands and had them installed, and made our other necessary stops for the remainder of the supplies for the class. We needed to get some practice wood for the participants of the class and also the case of paper to finish printing our class booklets we are distributing. We got extra tape, glue and anything else we thought we would need and even stopped at his mom’s house and used the table saw and sander to prepare the wood.
When we arrived home at dinner time, I was exhausted, but I felt much better. The adrenalin rush that I felt earlier had worn off and I felt positively depleted. But I did feel better about our decision. It was the safer, saner thing to do. While I would love to have my beautiful car and be able to share in the driving (I don’t drive manual transmission, which is what the Sunfire is) I know from experience that even an inch of snow on the road makes the rear-wheel Mustang unmanageable and unsafe. It simply isn’t worth it. Besides – Keith insists on doing all the driving on our trips anyway. (I believe it is a “man thing” ;) )
As I sit here this Tuesday morning, the sun is shining bright. There are a few puffy clouds floating above and there is no wind whatsoever. I haven’t checked the weather this morning, and I am not sure if I will. What will be, will be and we are as prepared as we can be with things. When the storm is passed and it is safe to leave, we will leave.
I honestly don’t know how people live in a society that forces so much gloom and negativity on themselves. No wonder so many people are depressed. I find comfort in that many of my best friends here that read my blog are the ones that say they also buffer themselves from the media. I don’t think that is an accident.
I am often asked how I can remain so positive and productive on a daily basis. This experience of the past few days has shown me just how quickly the life and ambition (not to mention creativity) can be sucked out of me if I allow it. I look forward to the show and seeing many of the people and teaching the class, but when that is done, I truly look forward to returning to the wonderful world that I made for myself here in Nova Scotia with my cats and my computer and the ocean and the river across the road (and of course – Keith!)
Perhaps I am getting old, but then – who isn’t? I prefer to think of it as knowing what makes me happy and living my life in a way that is good and healthy for me. I am very fortunate to be able to do that.
Have an incredible Tuesday.
Today’s Featured Products
The Artist's Club has their brush sets on sale. They always have a really decent price on brushes to begin with and I think that these brushes are great for new painters or every day painters. I use them frequently and ordered some more for myself. To top it off, they have FREE shipping to the USA and $6 shipping to Canada. Another great deal. I also ordered a Masterson's Sta-Wet Palette
which is a must for acrylic painters. If you haven’t tried one, you should – as it keeps the paint wet and workable much longer and is great if you can’t finish your painting in one sitting. :)
Once you use it – you will love it!
Another announcement is that Lee Valley Tools has another FREE SHIPPING offer.
This is good until the end of the month. I like their (sometimes pricey) products though and use some of them and this is usually when I order from them. Anything helps and they do have very high quality and great customer service.
Enjoy these offers! :)
-- Designer/Artist/Teacher. Owner of Sheila Landry Designs (http://www.sheilalandrydesigns.com) Scroll saw, wood working and painting patterns and surfaces. "Knowledge is Power"