I made the best of yesterday and surprisingly got a bit accomplished. The five little bunnies are hippity-hopping their way to New Jersey to the offices of Creative Woodworks and Crafts to be photographed for their article. I lovingly packed them and their carrots up and I HOPE they all arrive safely. We shall see . . .
I also finished up the transformation of the “Ugly Box Project” that I started over the weekend. I want to emphasize that what is important when doing projects such as this is to be certain to allow ample time for the layers of paint, etc. to DRY PROPERLY! I am a bit embarrassed to tell you how many projects I have ruined by rushing the drying process or not allowing enough time for things to CURE. (I lost count!) I find that when doing projects of this nature, it is far best to do them along side another project so that you can be distracted and do other things and not just think of the task at hand. It makes it far easier to allow things the proper cure time and the results is much better. Trust me on this one!
I have lots of step-by-step pictures, so without further delay, here we go . . .
I re-installed the hardware on the box. While that sounds like a minor task, it actually took quite a while. The original hardware had round head Phillips screws and while I looked for some nice brass screws in my neighborhood, I was unable to locate them. I had used the DecoArt Gloss Enamel paint on the faces of all the hardware pieces, and I allowed them to dry overnight AND baked them in a 350 degree oven for about half an hour to help harden and cure the paint. I am sure it will harden further over time, but I didn’t want to scratch it up during the installation process. I used a brownish color (Rich Espresso) and a deer foot stippler brush to tap on the paint and give it a bit of texture. It looked pretty cool I thought.
I really loved all the hardware that came with this box! Remember folks – this was a SHIPPING box that was sent with a sub woofer speaker that Keith had bought a couple of years ago. This was just the packaging for the sub that was intended to be discarded. It is cool that a company would put so much into the packaging of a product.
The satin black inside of the box looked great I thought. The DecoArt Multi-Surface Satin paint looks just fabulous! It needed no sealer and dried to a beautiful and DURABLE satin finish. This will stand up to the use of the box nicely!
One thing that I didn’t want to keep the same was the bottom of the box. The metal corners would cause it to scratch any surface that it would be on. (Not cool!) So I left the screws off the bottom:
And I cut some black felt pads for the feet. I cut two for each corner and used the extra strong glue and a glue gun and glued the two layers of pads into place. I felt that the glue itself would also pad the bottom feet of the box.
I think it looks very nice and very finished, and the bottom is now soft and won’t scratch anything.
I then wanted to touch up the tops of the screws, as they were still silver and bright. I daubed a bit of the DecoArt Gloss Enamel paint over each of the screws:
I will probably add another coat of paint over the screws in another day or so, but for now, I think the box looks wonderful!
It was quite a transformation!
My only problem now is where to put it. I initially found it on the bottom of my bedroom closet floor and I thought that I would store my new Chalky Finish Paint in it there. But the box came out so cool looking, I don’t want to put it away!
I also had news yesterday that these paints are available in CANADA! I have had so many people ask me about them this past week and I was thrilled to hear that they are being sold not only by Home Depot in the United States, but now by a company called Stockade here in Canada. Stockade has a great reputation and should serve you well.
I hope you enjoyed this little transformation. I had fun showing you. I love working with new products and I am very happy with the results of those that I used here. I think it is amazing what a little paint and some thought can do to make something ugly into something beautiful.
I wish you all a happy, happy Friday! :)
Today’s Featured Product
SLDK205 Filigree Heart Ornaments by Keith Fenton
-- Designer/Artist/Teacher. Owner of Sheila Landry Designs (http://www.sheilalandrydesigns.com) Scroll saw, wood working and painting patterns and surfaces. "Knowledge is Power"