Yesterday was filled by doing lots of odds and ends. Among other things, I was trying to get some planning done for our upcoming trip to Chicago. I haven’t mentioned it much because things have been so up in the air about everything that it has seemed like things have changed every five minutes. It is a little unsettling to say the least.
Add to that the issues with my car. It is nothing that I would consider to be “major”, but nonetheless it is a ten year old car with a couple suspension issues and it needs to be attended to. The problem is that it was taken in for the same problem at the beginning of the season, and also in August (to the dealership) and they aligned it, but the didn’t seem to notice that the wheel was loose, which was the result of a worn bearing. They are telling me now that it is my own fault for not bringing it back right away, but there was no way that I knew of this. For the most part we have been driving Keith’s new car and I have very little miles on it since the initial service. The only way we saw the recurring problem was the front tire (which was brought to the front from the back of the car in August by Ford) is experiencing the identical wear pattern that caused us to bring it to the dealership in the first place. Someone missed that one.
Yesterday was an exhausting game of “He did it, she did it” between all parties involved. When I confronted the dealership with what my own mechanic and what the alignment specialist had told me, the service manager washed his hands of it and said “You should have brought it back here. You must have worn it out since we did the alignment 2 months ago.”
The car is now awaiting the bearing at my regular mechanics (who doesn’t have the equipment to do alignments – thus the reason we were taking it elsewhere) and there is no way we are going to have him put it back together to drive it to a dealership we don’t have any trust in. This isn’t the first time they have let me down. After my accident five years ago when the car slid into a ditch on a rainy day, they sent me on my way after the repairs on what turned out to be a cracked rim after they received over $7000 of payments to repair it from my insurance company. They had replaced two of the wheels, but I was horrified to find that several months later when I purchased new tires for the car the mechanics at Coast Tire that were installing them saw the rim was cracked and should have been replaced when the other repairs were preformed. When I brought the car back to Ford and questioned them, they immediately replaced the rim. I was lucky that it didn’t shatter while I was on the highway.
Part of me wants to write a letter to the head office. I do have all my documentation and while I don’t really expect to get anything out of it, I think it should be noted. I am certain that I won’t be dealing with them in the future, as I have no trust left for them. Hopefully the bearing will go in and I will take the car for an alignment (the third since April) and have it road worthy for the trip to Chicago and back. I only have about a week until we leave.
Things like that are rather upsetting and distracting to me. I don’t like when I trust someone and they let me down. I suppose no one does. Add to that Keith has once again picked up some hours of work at the plant for the week, as they called him last week and he wanted to earn a bit of extra money before the trip. It leaves me here without transportation to get what I need to get done.
But things will get done and I will do the best that I can. Today, I have the task of finishing my drawing. It has been put on hold for a couple of days already and I really have to concentrate on it and get it finished. I need to cut it out tomorrow if possible and keep things moving in that direction. My goal is to mail our latest projects to the magazine by Monday. While that seems far away, it will come sooner than we think.
I did get the photos done for the different finished on the key ornaments. I think they look wonderful and I will be adding the ribbon and perhaps a few rhinestones to accent them and they will be completed. The first picture here is the natural finishes. The lacquer really brings out the natural colors of the woods that I used to make them:
The second and third sets are made of plywood. I painted them solidly with six shades of pinks/reds and added two coats of Glamour Dust Glitter Paint to each. They look just beautiful:
The third and final versions were also painted solidly, but this time I sponged gold and silver Metallic Luster Wax over them. I must admit that even though these look “nice” they are not my favorite. I put light coats so that the base colors show through and it did dull them considerably. However, they do have that metallic shine and that is attractive. I may put some rhinestones on this version of the keys to dress them up a bit and perhaps improve them. I’ll have to see how I like it.
Experimenting like this is just that – experimenting. Sometimes I am pleasantly surprised and other times I think “meh!” If I don’t try though, I will never know.
Today I am going to try to stay focused on the task at hand – finishing up my drawings. I hope by tomorrow I am able to tell you all that I am ready to cut. I never know what the day will bring though and hope that it will be a good one.
It is raining here today, and it did so throughout the night. Its a good day to stay in and work.
I wish you all a wonderful Tuesday and hope you all have a good and productive day.
-- Contributing Editor, Creative Woodworks and Crafts Magazine, If you like reading my blog, come visit at Sheila Landry Designs http://www.sheilalandrydesigns.com "Knowledge is Power"