It’s still early in the morning and I have already been at work getting things organized and attending to ‘desk work.’ I am almost caught up though and I feel a bit better about things and like it will be a productive day. Sometimes it is hard to keep up with all the paperwork and stuff – especially when there are other deadlines due. Not to mention keeping the house in order and doing the regular chores like laundry and cooking and cleaning. There are times when I wish I didn’t have to sleep.
But I realize that I am not the only one who goes through this, and at least I do enjoy what I do. In my eyes that makes me way ahead of the game. If my biggest complaint is having more ideas than time, I think I am doing pretty well.
I spent the early part of the day yesterday doing errands and filling some orders and doing some other things that needed to be done. By the time I sat down to finish my painting, it was just after 3pm. (Where did the day go?!) so I buckled in and got pretty far on my pieces.
I have been thinking that I want to do a video showing both the crackling process and also applying the DecoArt Metallic Lustre metallic wax paint.
This was my first time really using the Metallic Lustre and I needed to take the time to ‘play’ with it on some scraps of wood first and decide how I wanted to apply it to get the effect that I desired.
I think this product has wonderful potential in both the woodworking area and also the painting area. Because the paint is in a paste/wax form, it give a great deal of control when applying it, unlike liquid metallic paint. It is water soluble, which means that not only can you ‘thin’ it with water, but it also cleans up very nicely. It also means that it dries very quickly so you need to apply it and get it where you want it without too much messing around. I found this to be the part that needed the most adjustment on my side. It wasn’t like a typical paste wax in the sense that you couldn’t take your time buffing it out. You had to do smaller sections at a time. But the control was there, and I liked that.
I found that I used very little product to achieve the effect that I wanted for the skeletons. I used the small cosmetic sponges that are wedged shaped and wet them and squeezed them out. I then worked just a small bit (half the size of a pea) of the wax on the palette into the sponge. I then very lightly wiped the shimmering colors on the skeletons to give their bones a beautiful shimmer. I wanted very thin coverage that wouldn’t cover up the tiny cracks and this was the perfect method for me to accomplish this.
I used the “Champaign” color for all the neon skeletons, as it is a very light beige that just warmed the color of the bones up and made them shine.
For the neutral colors, I used Black Shimmer on the black based skeleton, Copper Kettle on the Rust skeleton and Silver Spark on the grey skeleton. I still have to do the brown based skeleton with Iced Espresso, but I saved that for making the video. So far the results is great. I warn you all though – the effect I was going for is “subtle” and I feel that is what I achieved.
I will certainly do a better and more in-depth account of things later on when I am finished with everything. But I am really happy with the results for the most part.
At this point, my table looks like this:
It is the storm before the calm where everything is in progress and it is somewhat like organized chaos. But that will change soon, and hopefully today I will get things finished up and you can see everything all assembled. AND I hope to have a video showing the process too.
So off I go today. There is much to do and I want to get an early start. i hope you enjoy seeing these come together.
Have a wonderful Tuesday!
-- Contributing Editor, Creative Woodworks and Crafts Magazine, If you like reading my blog, come visit at Sheila Landry Designs http://www.sheilalandrydesigns.com "Knowledge is Power"