Are you tired of seeing my little bunnies yet?
I hope not. I spent the day yesterday painting and finishing the final version of my Summer Bunny ornaments. This set is geared for decorative painters. The ornaments are made of 1/8” Baltic birch plywood and are cut silhouettes. I then based them in bright pastels and applied some DecoArt Weathered Wood Crackle Medium and painted the faces of them with a light Ivory color.
The crackling is subtle, and I am not sure how well you see it in the pictures. To bring out the base pastel colors, I then float shaded around the pieces with the base colors. That’s where we were at yesterday.
I debated on how to finish these up. I wanted something interesting on the necklines, and I considered painting on the bows in tones that matched the base colors. But I thought that would be a little common and flat looking – especially with their small size. The bows would need to be very small and it would be difficult to really shade them nicely.
I then thought that the best way to decorate them was to use the same pattern as I used in the original scrolled pieces and paint the colors in nice stroke work. I sampled this method on one of the ornaments and found that using the base pastel colors proved to be too light, and the colors were lost in the crackle base. Since the stroked lines were rather small, it would be difficult to shade each one to make it stand out. So on to “plan B.”
I tried a bolder color, in the same color family as the base coat but much stronger and the results were a bit more pleasing. It looked much better, but was just a bit flat and again, shading around each stoke would be difficult and tedious. So I went to the Glamour Dust paint and I tried it out to see how it would look. I coated each of the strokes with a layer of the Glamour Dust and it looked really amazing. It almost looks like sugared candy.
I painted all the strokes to match the original cut work that I did on the first set, and then I applied matching rhinestones and a small satin bow to each and they look really pretty. The different textures of the crackle paint, along with the shimmering stroke work and the few brilliant rhinestones, finished by the satin bows give the simple pieces lots of interest without looking overpowering or gaudy. I think that by just adding a few rhinestones and using the fine DecoArt Glamour Dust glitter paint, the piece isn’t screaming at you, but is a good balance of color and texture. I hope you all agree.
Here is how the final set of bunnies look:
They are bright and colorful and will cheer you up all summer long! By using the same neutral color for the bodies of the bunnies, it ties them together as a set. I honestly can’t pick my favorite color!
They are also a lot of fun to make and not difficult to paint at all. Since the only real shading is around the edges, which is the easiest place to float shade, they are very suitable for someone who hasn’t really painted a great deal at all and wants to try something new. Yet they look nice and professional.
I am going to be working on the pattern packets for both these and the MUD Bunnies today and tomorrow. I hope to have them ready to post on the site in a day or so. I would like to have them available in case some people would like to do last minute Easter decorating, but they will be nice all summer long I think.
I finished them up after 10 last night, and I felt pretty good about them, and all the other bunnies that I have made in the past week.
I hope you like seeing them. :)
Have a great Wednesday!
-- Contributing Editor, Creative Woodworks and Crafts Magazine, If you like reading my blog, come visit at Sheila Landry Designs http://www.sheilalandrydesigns.com "Knowledge is Power"