Yesterday I finished two of the three packets that I am writing instructions for. While I would have liked to finish all three of them, it just didn’t happen. But if all goes well, I will be finishing them up today, along with completing the site update.
Keith has been doing some additional work on the site, as well as getting his own new patterns posted. While I am in charge of most of the correspondences with our customers, his job is to work on the website and keep it organized and easy to navigate. That works out well for both of us, as he has a better understanding of HTML and the inside stuff on the site than I do and he is able to optimize it much better than I would. He also is a great organizer and has an obsession for making sure that things are consistent throughout. Hopefully we will be able to keep it simple even though we are always adding products, videos and articles.
We realize that at some point we may wind up splitting the site into two parts – one for woodworking and one for painting – but that time hasn’t really arrived yet as there is a great deal of overlapping between the two and for now anyway, it would just make more work for us and we would have two places to maintain rather than one.
When writing the instructions for the “Happy Birthday” word art piece that I featured in my video a couple of days ago, I realized just how much things did overlap. I didn’t want to make the pattern geared strictly towards either the painters or the woodworkers, because there were so many ways you could nicely finish it that it really pertained to both. The project looked great fully painted (as you saw in the video) but it also looked nice in natural wood, and would also look good using the DecoArt Staining and Antiquing Medium and acrylic paints to make a sheer stain. I found myself having trouble initially organizing the many versions into one pattern packet, and hopefully I didn’t give too many options for finishing.
But can you really give too many options? I really don’t think so.
So I created the packet and explained not only how to finish the piece so you could leave it the natural color (using mineral oil and spray shellac or lacquer) but also how to add a sheer stain using the acrylic paints and finally how you could solidly paint the piece in, as my sample was done and use MDF to make it.
Hopefully the way I presented the instructions is straight forward and clear. I imagine that the only way that I will get the answer to that is to wait for any feedback on them that I receive from my customers. I hope it works out well because I don’t like the idea of having to make a separate packet for the woodworkers and an additional packet for the painters. Besides – my philosophy has always been that if other methods are present, it may encourage my customers to spread their wings a little and try a new technique that they otherwise wouldn’t have attempted.
We shall see . . .
So for now, that is the way it is. I am going to continue on today and try to finish up the last of the patterns that I want to do for this update. Since it is a project that is Irish in theme, it would be best to get it up on the site prior to the St. Patrick’s Day holiday that is approaching.
Here is a preview of what I made:
It is another word art piece. This time it spells “Slainte” which means “Cheers!” I find that all the word art pieces are very popular and I think that this piece will be so not only for St. Patrick’s day, but for any time of year.
So that is it today. Another busy day ahead. I hope you all have a great mid-week and find time to do what makes you happy.
-- Designer/Artist/Teacher. Owner of Sheila Landry Designs (http://www.sheilalandrydesigns.com) Scroll saw, wood working and painting patterns and surfaces. "Knowledge is Power"