I need to make this entry short and sweet because I am already behind for the day. I was having an issue with my USB hub this morning that meant that not only did my tablet mouse not work, but I was also unable to transfer images to the computer from my camera.
I spent the first two hours of my day first crawling around playing with wires. I couldn’t understand it because even though my tablet is four years old, usually things like that just don’t ‘quit’ without incident (I said “usually.” I know that it is possible.)
My lovely cat Coco had chewed through the wires on it right after I got it and I had to do one of my expert splicing jobs before the tablet was a month old. I wondered if there was something up with that because the light was on and flickering, just no response.
So I desperately played around with it, even to the point of unwrapping the knob of electrical tape which repaired the four tiny wires and insulation sheath. All looked well however. I had figured it was just its time to die and began searching for the cheapest/quickest way I could have one here. I thought it meant a trip to Yarmouth in the freshly fallen snow, which I am sure Keith would not be thrilled about. I even planned to bribe him with taking him to lunch. ;)
Finally, I gave up and decided I needed to get on with the blog here and my day in general and I took the pictures for today’s post. As I began to transfer them to the computer, again things weren’t connecting or working. I kept getting errors.
I checked my Device Manager in the control panel of my computer and there indeed was a USB bus problem. (By the way, through the course of this whole incident, I rebooted my computer several times!) Of course the help from Windows to troubleshoot it was useless. So I did what I should have done in the first place – unplugged the USB hub and plugged it in again. (By the way – I did try the tablet directly into the one port in front of my computer, but I had forgotten that it was the only one on my computer that didn’t work properly. With the port and the five others, it didn’t matter)
Well, rebooting the hub did the trick. Instantly my tablet worked again and also the camera was able to transfer the pictures. That saved me about $300 that I was going to spend on the new tablet, not to mention the day of chasing and the anxiety.
So all is well again. Crisis averted.
It is just after 8am and there is still plenty of time to save the rest of the day. Getting up early pays off I suppose.
Yesterday, I spent the day cutting the other three masks. Before I began the cutting process, I redrew one of the masks, because I wanted to save one of them for another set, as I had another idea for a little different direction for them.
The results of my cutting is pictured here:
I was really pleased with how they came out too. I had a great time cutting them. They were a bit of a challenge, and I plan on grading the pattern Intermediate to Advanced because of the level of cutting. There is little room for error on some of the pieces.
I think that my favorite of them all was the one I drew up yesterday. It reminded me of a harlequin. Cutting it was not for the faint of heart though:
To show the overall size of these (approximately 4.5” again) here is a picture of me holding one:
In the pattern packets though, I am going to include two sizes of the masks, which will make cutting the larger sizes quite a bit easier. That way if my customers want to give it a go, they can try it on the larger size first if they are unsure of their abilities and work their way to the smaller size. Of course they will be able to size them anything in between. With the smallest size being the most difficult, having cut them myself I know that they can be easily accomplished with a little patience and the proper set up.
I may cut out one of the larger versions, just to show the difference in the pattern, but I am not sure that it is necessary. I have to see how it goes.
Oh, and I also need to correct myself form yesterday’s post. I had stated that I thought the wood that I was using for these was hickory, but it was not. It it solid birch. I had forgotten that we had purchased and planed some of it down and it is also a great candidate for this type of cutting, as you can see how well it holds the detail of the tiny curls and lines.
Again I used my 1/3 sheet orbital sander on all of these pieces without incident. They are quite sturdy and as long as it is supported from underneath (I use a small foam pad) it is fine.
I hope you like these pieces as much as the ones I did yesterday. I am not done with these yet. There is still more to come. Thanks for all the nice comments yesterday. It sure encourages me to do better. :)
-- Contributing Editor, Creative Woodworks and Crafts Magazine, If you like reading my blog, come visit at Sheila Landry Designs http://www.sheilalandrydesigns.com "Knowledge is Power"