I am going to keep this short today because I have lots to do and need to get moving. I had a good day yesterday and not only did I finish the tray that I showed in yesterday’s post, but I made good headway on drawing up the pattern for the next project.
I am on a roll . . .
I loved the way the little dragonfly tray came out, but I also wanted to offer some suggestions to add color for those who wish. I can’t decide whether I like the colored version or the natural version better. I often get like that – especially when the wood grain looks so pretty.
I like adding just a bit of color, and not solidly painting everything in. I decided to paint just part of the top surface of the tray, as well as only the fronts of the dragonflies. This way, the natural wood shows through both on the sides and the backs and makes it look a bit more interesting (at least to me it does.)
I am not a fan of painting around the edges in projects like this. I think it is a great deal of unnecessary work and the results can make the piece look “flat”. By leaving the edges the natural color of the wood, it keeps the dimension of the piece in tact and I think looks rather nice.
But as always, it is up to the customer to decide what they like best. I only offer suggestions based on my own taste and preference.
So without further babbling, here are my results.
I decided to keep the coloring simple. The dragonflies’ bodies were done in a medium green and the wings were done in a really cool looking opalescent medium grey-green pearl called “Moss Green Pearl”. That way they resembled the translucent color that they are. I did a LIGHT shading around the body and wings with a deep, semi-transparent blue. Very light and simple. The result were pretty nice:
For the base, I simply used the Staining and Antiquing Gel mixed with the same green paint for the leaves and with a nice, strong yellow for the flowers and did not choose to shade. I wanted to keep things as simple as possible.
The results were also pretty nice:
I fought with myself as to whether I should paint the backs of the dragonflies or not. While they would look nice painted on both sides, I don’t really feel it is necessary, and again, it gave a better contrast and helped keep the piece from looking too busy. It is just my personal preference.
Overall, I really enjoyed doing the project. As I said yesterday, it helped open a floodgate of ideas and variations that I can create using this process. I think I will be having a lot of fun with this in the near future.
I’ll end with that today. As I said, I am running late and need to get out and do some errands before everything closes. Most places are closing early.
It has been a great week, and even better year. Thank you all who have followed me throughout this year. We have an incredible and exciting journey ahead of us in 2013, and I look forward to it very much.
Be safe and smart and have a wonderful day!
-- Contributing Editor, Creative Woodworks and Crafts Magazine, If you like reading my blog, come visit at Sheila Landry Designs http://www.sheilalandrydesigns.com "Knowledge is Power"