I made good progress yesterday working on the new ornament sets, and in the process, something came to mind. An epiphany if you will. Although I am sure that the idea has probably been addressed before, it had not occurred to me until yesterday. I felt as if the fog had been lifted and I had one of those “ah-ha!” moments we see played out in the movies. In any case, I think I may be on to something.
In my never-ending quest to eliminate spray adhesive as much from my life as possible, I though of something that may work and take its place for the most part. In recent days, I have been successfully using the double sided masking tape as a means to attach the pattern to the wood. While the tape costs a bit more than the spray adhesive (at approximately $10 per 1.47” x 27 yd. roll) the application for using it to apply patterns worked flawlessly. I simply applied the tape in strips over my clean and dust-free wood surface, peeled off the backing, and pressed on the pattern that I printed from my printer over the top of the tape. Even in the most intricate cutting (as on the sled ornaments which included many curves and curls) the tape held the pattern in place. This type of cutting was one of the areas that was giving me the most problems, as when shaving small pieces, the glue decided to let go and the pattern began to flap. You can imagine how it not only made cutting more difficult, but also increased the chance for error as my concentration shifted from what I was doing with the blade to trying to hold the pattern in place with my finger nail as I cut. Most scrollers who have experienced this know exactly what I mean, and it is not fun.
Not only did the tape hold well, but it was very easy to remove from the wood once cutting was completed and left no residue. I was thrilled I no longer had to deal with the unreliability and also the mess of spraying the pattern with temporary spray adhesive and hoping it would hold and work properly. Nor did I need to put the extra layer of blue painter’s tape underneath the pattern to help removal of the pattern and to prevent the wood from burning during cutting. I was in essence accomplishing two tasks with one product. And that was a great thing.
But people were having difficulty finding the product at a reasonable cost, so I wanted to think of another reasonable alternative that would work just as well.
While I was painting yesterday and working on my ornaments, I had a thought. I remembered that I had some full sheet sticker paper that I had used to make large labels some time ago. I wondered if that would work as a way to adhere the pattern to the wood for cutting. The full sheet labels can be used with my printer and that meant that I could print the pattern directly on it. I could then cut it to shape and apply it to the wood, as I normally did with the pattern and peel it up when I was finished.
Why hadn’t I thought of that before?
I had a couple of sheets left, and I printed the pattern on to it. I then applied a piece to the wood to see how it would stick, and so far it worked perfectly.
I am going to give it a go today and cut these pieces out and I will let you know how it does tomorrow. But by the way it was sticking, I think it is going to work fine.
I went to Amazon.com and found these Full Sheet Labels in a pack of 100 for only $19.96. Even with the shipping added, it only cost just under $30.00. That’s a pretty good price for no-hassle and no mess application of the pattern. Since I have to print the pattern from my computer anyway, it just makes sense to print directly on the label and then adhere it to the wood. That will completely eliminate the fussing of spraying and wondering if I am going to get clumps or slime out of the can, or if anything will come out at all. With the Super 77 (which is the most reliable brand that I have used) costing nearly $20 per can after taxes, I can’t help but think that using the labels wouldn’t cost much less in the long run, as it will also eliminate the need for using the blue painter’s tape underneath the pattern to help prevent burning of the wood, which is something I do every time I cut.
At $30 per 100 sheets, it seems like a pretty good idea and well worth a try. I cant’ wait to see how it works later on today and I will certainly report back tomorrow.
My ornaments are nearly done now, and I should be able to take some nice pictures today too. I finished up the little ‘charms’ yesterday and they came out wonderful!
They are super simple to paint (Yes – even a child can do it!) and on one version I used beautiful sparkles:
Of course I did a conservative version of the ornaments so that those who don’t want to paint wood won’t have to, and they look nice too. Today I am finishing up the extra bonus that I am adding with the patterns and hopefully buttoning everything up. Hopefully we will have everything ready for a site update on Monday or Tuesday.
So it looks like it is going to be quite a busy day here. I suppose you will have to wait until tomorrow to see everything finished. I love these days when everything falls together into place. Seeing things come together like this is fun and exciting.
I hope you all enjoy your Sunday. It is cool and a bit overcast here today, with wispy snow on the ground. Perfect weather for working on Christmas things!
Have a great one!
-- Designer/Artist/Teacher. Owner of Sheila Landry Designs (http://www.sheilalandrydesigns.com) Scroll saw, wood working and painting patterns and surfaces. "Knowledge is Power"