This one is going to have to be quick. I had some things I needed to get done this morning and I am running a bit behind. Plus, with the handicap of Pancakes on my lap, it makes it hard to type fast.
I wanted to show the pictures of the second project of this group today. I really think it came out cool and I was pretty happy with the results. This one was the word “Boo!” spelled out in some Gothic type lettering along with two creepy pumpkins.
I cut these letters from 3/4” poplar. The wood type didn’t matter in this one as much because the letters were going to be painted. I like working with poplar on this type of project because it is soft and easy to cut and would hold up to this size cutting. I like it better than pine because it is a bit less sappy and also the edges are much neater than the pine edges, which tend to fray and look raggedy when cut on the scroll saw. Poplar is plentiful in my area, so it is also pretty cheap.
I decided to paint the pieces completely in black and only put the color/finish on the faces of them. This was no small task, as the poplar absorbed the acrylic paint like a sponge and it was a challenge to get into some of the cut areas such as the features of the pumpkin faces. I solved this by using a stiffer paint brush – one used for fabric painting – and that helped a lot. I suppose that if you are going to use acrylic paint when painting these, you would need to designate a brush just for that, as it will probably be ruined for anything else.
An alternative to brush painting these is to use spray paint. I don’t know how it would do with getting into the scrolled crevices though, and I didn’t want any drip marks, so I opted with the acrylic brush method. Again – it is not difficult, but it just takes a bit of time (I know some of you aren’t that patient!)
After the pieces were solid black, I used a deerfoot stippler to apply some orange paint to the front only of the pumpkins. I was kind of afraid to base coat the pumpkins all in black, because I knew the orange would have a bit of a time covering over it. However, I wanted the edges black so that it would look more like carved pumpkins, which they do.
The stippler allowed me to ‘pounce’ on the paint and only took a couple of coats for complete coverage. Another benefit of using that brush was that the orange paint didn’t get over the edges onto the sides at all – even on the intricate teeth. That is a great “new” discovery that I will have to share with my customers. I learn something new every day!
I then applied a couple of good coats of DecoArt Craft Twinkles on the faces of all the pieces. Unlike the Glamour Dust Glitter Paint that I used yesterday on the ghosts, which give a soft shimmer, these Craft Twinkles give an all out chunky sparkle! (Bazinga!) Just the look I wanted for these pieces!
They look really amazing. I put them on the top of the stove and when I had my candle on, they looked positively electric! Look at the great shadow behind them too!
So that’s it for today! On to project #3 of the group! The wholesale order is ready to go out the door so I had an amazingly productive weekend! I can’t wait to get to work on my next project today!
Have a great Monday!
-- Contributing Editor, Creative Woodworks and Crafts Magazine, If you like reading my blog, come visit at Sheila Landry Designs http://www.sheilalandrydesigns.com "Knowledge is Power"