Yesterday was a different kind of day. I had some time alone here at home because Keith had some family things to do and was gone for the entire day and night. It is rare that he is not here, as with both of us working from home here we are usually both here together. It was odd not having someone here to bounce ideas and thoughts off of, although I did have my three feline companions to keep me company.
I decided that since I had all of this ‘quiet time’ in front of me that I would work on finishing up the video series for the reindeer ornament project. I sometimes find it hard to shoot the videos when Keith is around. We live here in a small place and somehow for me it seems quite silly talking to the camera when someone is sitting across the room. On occasion, when shooting earlier segments, I gently ‘suggest’ that Keith go to the store, or to visit our neighbor Lee or something of that nature to get him out of the house. I do feel bad kicking him out, but sometimes it is necessary for me to concentrate. However, as I do this more and more (make videos) I am finding it a little easier to do and it doesn’t seem so hard to do it with him here. In fact – he has some good suggestions about what I am doing and stuff like that at times and has been very helpful.
But in any case, I wanted to get this project wrapped up so I decided to do so and get all the shooting out of the way. I was surprised how quickly the day passed between me working on the projects and shooting the videos. I had the foresight the day before to oil half the pieces so I was able to continue on right away after showing how to apply the oil. (After applying it, it needs to soak in for several hours or overnight before I proceed to finish the pieces, and I was able to move right along having done these pieces the previous day) I did plan on showing more sanding, but it rained all day and I had planned on showing me doing it outside on the deck, where I usually would be. But I did manage to get the point across by demonstrating for just a short time.
All in all it went very well. I created and uploaded the third part, as shown below and I have two additional segments which I will present in the next two days. I am getting better at splicing and creating the videos with the software, and that didn’t take me nearly as long as the first two segments to make.
I plan on adding these five parts onto the class very shortly. I realize that some people that took the class don’t read here, and I think it will be good to have all the instructional videos available in one place and in one series. Many times I reference back to the classes that I already posted here on Lumberjocks when people ask me questions regarding techniques and general scroll sawing. I am happy that they don’t remove the classes after a period of time, as it is far easier for me to go there than fish through the (now 700+) blog entries here. I owe a big “thank you” to the administrators at Lumberjocks for that.
So without further hesitation, I present Part 3 of the series:
This segment shows how I cut the reindeer and the back board. It runs for about 13 minutes. I am finding that the minutes just fly by and I need to be careful not to make the segments too long. It seems that my camera only takes about 10 minutes of video and then just stops. One of the segments that I shot yesterday ran over, and I was not aware of this. There is no warning or beep or anything like that. I was watching the video to see how it came out and – wham – it just ended mid- sentence. That was quite the pain because there was no graceful way to even splice things together that way and I needed to re-shoot the entire segment, careful to abbreviate the process a bit. It was a good things that I cut some extra pieces so I was able to re-do what I was doing.
I am thinking that I may need another camera. Mine is about four years old, which is ancient in the world of electronics, and I want to look into getting a similar camera that would have a longer shooting capability without having to decrease the quality of the video. I realize that memory cards are available, and I do have one in there, but that doesn’t seem to be the problem because I can easily hold up to about 20 minutes of smaller segments on the camera without a problem. But it seems that each individual segment needs to be less than about 10 minutes. It is something I need to check out.
I hope you enjoy the clip. There were a couple of times that I felt quite nervous again. I don’t know why, but when I tried to reshoot it only got worse and I got more flustered so I finally just let it go and included that part. I will say though that the last two parts went pretty smoothly and I felt much more comfortable in what I was doing. I hope it shows in the lessons.
As usual, any feedback is welcome. I am still on a journey of learning and I hope to improve as I go along. The important thing is that I get some good points across and help others have fun with the process.
-- Contributing Editor, Creative Woodworks and Crafts Magazine, If you like reading my blog, come visit at Sheila Landry Designs http://www.sheilalandrydesigns.com "Knowledge is Power"