Two steps back. Well, you all probably have heard the saying.
While we were forging ahead yesterday, I was finishing the last of my printing when I came across an error. I was doing the final proof reading for the last of the patterns before I printed out 150 copies and I was checking the item numbers of the DecoArt colors that I used for the project. I was sitting here at the computer and thought it would be easy just to type the number in the search box at the DecoArt website to make sure that I was using the correct number.
When I almost reached the end, on the second to last color (Viridian Green) I got the screen “no matches.”
Hum . . .
Good thing I was checking. I then typed in the name, and again got the “no match” screen for the paint colors.
Now I was beginning to wonder.
I went to my paints and pulled the bottle and I was, indeed using the correct one. Well, what was up with that?
So I went to the main page on the site and typed in Viridian Green to search the entire site and the color did come up on a transparency chart that DecoArt offered so that we would know approximately how transparent the paint was.
So I wasn’t crazy.
My next step was to go to the Artist’s Club site and see if they sold that color.
Nope. It wasn’t there. Now I was getting sad.
Apparently, that color was discontinued and I must have missed that memo. I checked back on my emails and saw the two lists that were sent in 2008 and 2010 as to the discontinued colors and it wasn’t on them. Yet – it wasn’t anywhere to be found.
This not only meant that I needed to make a last minute change on my pattern, but also that as I looked at the pile of 150 – 18 page patterns sitting in front of me, I knew they were wrong. I certainly didn’t want to introduce a new pattern which included an unavailable color.
I went to my paint and found a suitable alternative green (Black Forest Green) which would suffice as a substitute. While it was slightly less ‘blue’ than Viridian, it was a very close match and wouldn’t affect the design very much as far as final outcome.
However, the stack of patterns that were printed and half stapled were wrong. The stack on the right is the pile of patterns that were wrong:
I went to my Adobe InDesign program and fortunately they have a find/change feature where I could type ‘Viridian Green’ in the find box and could change it to ‘Black Forest Green.’ It appeared on six of the 18 pages of the pattern.
After changing it, and moving things around to make sure everything still fit properly, I then had the dilemma of what to do with the huge stack of patterns. Keith suggested I reprint them again, but I couldn’t bring myself to throw the whole pile away. It was just too wasteful.
I decided to reprint the changed pages and replace them in the existing copies, which included unstapling about half of them (which was where I was at when I discovered the error) and re-collating them all.
It was quite a setback, especially when I was in the home stretch.
I finally finished getting to the point where everything is correct at around 10:30 last night. As you can imagine, I was really, really tired.
The final group of patterns is finishing up today, and I will begin packaging the kits. Keith was drilling the pieces for most of the day so everything now is ready to go.
I am going to talk to DecoArt today and find out when the color was discontinued, as I really don’t know how I missed that. While it isn’t a huge tragedy (no one died or anything like that) it was a rather big deal to me. I really don’t want to steer customers in a direction where they are chasing their tails and while there are certainly workarounds, there was no way that I wanted to start out of the gate knowing that this color wasn’t available.
So that’s my story today.
So many details, so little time.
I am still smiling though, because it would have been much worse if I would have discovered the error AFTER everything was printed and out the door. At least at this point I could fix it and even though it took several hours to do so, I can once again be proud knowing that I am giving a good product.
So let’s start the new week on a good note.
Have a happy Monday!
-- Contributing Editor, Creative Woodworks and Crafts Magazine, If you like reading my blog, come visit at Sheila Landry Designs http://www.sheilalandrydesigns.com "Knowledge is Power"