We had a small change of plans yesterday, and we wound up taking the day off from cutting the final set of pieces for our kits. Keith was still having a lot of trouble with the spray glue, and he had to take a bit of time to chase around to find an alternative. While he was doing that, I spent the day working on writing the final pattern packet.
He returned home after an hour or so and was unsuccessful in finding a feasible alternative to the Elmer’s spray glue. I suppose that is one of the drawbacks of living in a small town. There were only a couple of places that would possibly have anything similar and unfortunately none of them did. The spray glues that the two local hardware stores carried were both permanent bond types and wouldn’t do for our purposes.
We then got a call that my car was ready to be picked up. When we were returning from our day trip last week, Keith noticed that the oil pressure gauge was registering that there was no pressure. The needle was quite erratic, jumping from zero to about three quarters of the way up. Naturally we had to take it right in to our mechanic, who wasn’t able to look at it until this week. The problem turned out to be a faulty gauge, which was a bit of a relief but still left me without a car for the week. I am happy to have it back again.
By the time we returned from getting the car and the other errands, it was a bit late to start cutting. Besides, Keith still had to apply all the patterns to the remaining 48 or so sets of boards that need to be cut. It was very frustrating for him to fight with that spray, and we will only find out today if the patterns would even hold. We had two brand new cans of spray glue here and both of them were the same in that they either spat out strings of glue or they sprayed a mist, which seemed to have little or no adhesive in it at all. We are planning to take what is left in the cans and bring them back to the store with the receipt. I doubt it will do any good though.
I still plan on talking to someone regarding the glue next week when things settle down, but for now we have to keep things moving. I am hoping that the glue will be sufficient for this group of cutting. At least the designs are simple and don’t require a lot of intricate cutting.
We plan on cutting half of the 150 kits that are left today and finishing up on the cutting tomorrow. After that, the messiest part of the job is done. We still have to drill the pieces and package the kits, which will certainly take a couple more days. Our target for shipping is at the beginning of the week sometime, and while it would have been nice to see everything go out the door Monday or Tuesday, we will just have to see what will be. We both know we are doing our best and that is the most important thing.
It is good to see this order being done so quickly. It will also be good when it is done to be able to get on to other things and work on them. I will be very happy to finish my ornaments that I started to make so long ago. I can’t believe how the weeks and days are flying by. But it is all good and all productive and it means that the business is moving in a positive direction.
It’s Friday already and the close of another week. With summer just beginning, I am looking forward to some good days to come. In any case, I expect it to be a busy season.
Have a great day.
-- Contributing Editor, Creative Woodworks and Crafts Magazine, If you like reading my blog, come visit at Sheila Landry Designs http://www.sheilalandrydesigns.com "Knowledge is Power"