After a slow start, it seems that I am finally gaining some momentum and moving forward again. However, it took a bit longer than I had anticipated for me to really feel that I was making progress and get started. I was beginning to worry if I would even get moving at all. But once I began painting, I started to feel good about what I was doing and things began to flow a bit better. By the end of the evening, I have nearly four of the twelve designs completed and with any luck, I can hopefully get most of them finished by tonight.
I think that when I make a set of somewhat unrelated items such as this, I tend to overwhelm myself. I know what I want to do, but thinking about all 12 of the designs at the time is too much for my head to handle. I spent the early part of the day in kind of a muddle, doing things around the house here and not quite knowing where to begin. I tidied up my work area, got myself settled in, and stared at the 12 blank pieces, not knowing where to start. That feeling of being overwhelmed was once again upon me and thinking to myself about the deadline looming wasn’t helping either.
In my effort to get this things finished (or even started at that point) I was thinking in all the directions at once, and it completely paralyzed me. It was somewhere around 2pm when I opened that first bottle of paint. I had finally reached a point where I had to stop and take a breath and just do something. Anything.
I blindly picked one of the designs that was in my head and tried to not think of anything else. Once I started painting, it was easier to focus only on the task at hand and the paint began flowing. I had broken through the block and finally began making progress. And slowly but surely, the designs began to materialize. I was on my way.
I can’t begin to explain what a relief it was. I only tell you this because there was a point in this process when I was in such a muddle that I began thinking about throwing in the towel and abandoning the project altogether. My thoughts were just all over the place and they made no sense at all. It was as if I were a musician and I was looking at random notes strewn over the sheet. There was no rhyme or reason to them and until they were organized into some sort of order, they were just notes. But once I was able to calm myself and not think about things so hard, things finally began to fall into place and I was able to move forward. And progress was made.
I suppose this was one of the reasons that switching between designs was so difficult. Both designs (the scroll saw design and the painting design) were at their infancy, and their direction was not yet determined. Perhaps if they were better defined it would not be such a task to alternate between the two. But not at that point.
But now I am rambling.
I scanned in the three that are completed.
The fourth is well on its way, but not yet finished. While I only finished approximately 1/3 of what I had to do, I feel that the most difficult part is behind me – breaking through and allowing the designs to flow. I have now been able to tame the beast and while I am painting one of the stockings, I am only allowing myself to think ahead to the next one. Beyond that is something that I finally have been able to block out. That way I am keeping myself in check and not allowing myself to become overwhelmed.
These games we play with ourselves are odd. I only mention them because surely other designers go through a similar process. I truly envy anyone who does not and are able to start off with their thought neatly organized and ready for implementation. To me this is sometimes the most difficult part of the process. Getting things off to a good start is the most tedious part.
From here on it is smooth sailing!
Have a wonderful Sunday!
-- Designer/Artist/Teacher. Owner of Sheila Landry Designs (http://www.sheilalandrydesigns.com) Scroll saw, wood working and painting patterns and surfaces. "Knowledge is Power"