I finished all my cutting yesterday. There was a little more to do than I had originally thought, but it was certainly manageable for me to finish. I finished in the early afternoon with a decent part of the day left to do other things.
The next thing on the list was to tidy up the area where I was cutting and get everything back in order. While I cleaned in between sessions, I wanted to make sure that things were nice and fresh and everything was back to normal. It is important to keep up with the mess, as it can get away from us so easily. Especially in a small place such as ours.
I decided to take the rest of the day away from the noise of power tools and went on to stapling the patterns. While doing so, I though about how spending nearly $30 on the stapler I had was well worth the cost. All of these patterns were at least 16 pages, and a regular stapler had trouble going through the layers. It was a struggle on your hands, and it also looked sloppy and unprofessional when it frequently missed. Not to mention the time and aggravation of tediously picking out the spent staple. I never thought I would admit it, but $30 was a cheap price to pay to be able to zip through this job. I suppose you get what you pay for.
Before I was completely finished stapling, we received notice that the saw part was waiting for pick up at the post office. It was already getting later in the afternoon, so we promptly went to retrieve it. I was happy that it came so quickly. We had only reported the saw broken on the previous Friday and according to Ray at Seyco, he mailed the new part out that same day. A week for transport from something from Texas to Nova Scotia is really good. It couldn’t have gotten here any quicker unless it was sent overnight.
When we opened the box, we saw that the part was slightly different than the old part. In the picture below, the top piece is the old piece that failed and the arm below is the new one that was sent. You could see that the failed pieces were now modified and the bolt that had broken was completely eliminated:
Ray said he pre-set the piece to the proper length and it should just fit in fine. We were hopeful.
It took Keith about an hour to reassemble the saw. Apparently, when he disassembled it, he had taken apart a bit more than necessary to remove the part. That didn’t seem to be a problem, as we were careful to keep all the pieces in a small dish so that nothing would be misplaced.
Usually I like getting involved with seeing how things work and putting things together. But this time I kind of stayed back, as when I was too close to things, it just seemed that I got in the way. Keith knew what he was doing and I let him work, remaining just close enough to kind of watch and get anything if he needed it. It was like watching a surgeon preform an operation on your child. After seeing all the pieces, I was hopeful that he remembered where everything went.
But after about an hour, I saw that he was replacing the final housing pieces. The dish that contained all the screws and parts was nearly empty, and I began to hope.
Finally he said he was done and when he plugged it in for the first time, I was anxious and apprehensive. I wasn’t sure if it would grind or how far it would be off or even if it would work at all.
But work it did, and not only did it move freely, but it was quiet and humming.
We needed to do the usual initial adjustment by slightly turning the motor to fully minimize the front to back blade movement, but that just took a second to do. We were pros now.
Keith let me do the first test cut on it. I first used a 1/4” piece of oak. It cut perfectly and turned smoothly, without catching on the back. I then tried a thicker piece of MDF – a scrap from the Birthday sign that I made last week and I tried a pinpoint turn on the thicker material without it catching or chattering. It was fixed!
All is good in the world again! We immediately put it back into place and (for now) put the DeWalt out of the way. Keith has a backlog of three projects that he needs to cut. Between me doing my work and not having the ‘good saw’ to cut, he has been drawing every day and has held off cutting them. He will be the one to give it a good trial run, as the designs he created are quite intricate and will certainly test the saw fully.
I can’t say enough for Ray and Seyco and the good service we received from them. With the piece, we had received step-by-step instructions (with many pictures) as to how to do the repair ourselves. As I stated before, Ray even offered to replace the saw if we chose to, but we declined, as we felt we would be able to get it working again. I don’t think that there would have been anything he could have done better. These are after all, complicated machines. Stuff happens and they do break down with continuous use. I believe that is why it is so important to know that there is good customer service behind the products we are buying. Then when these things do happen, the answer is quick and efficient.
So it is back to my work today. I need to drill holes in the 2000+ pieces I just cut and get them packaged off to ship. That should keep me out of trouble for the day.
I hope you all have a great Tuesday!
-- Contributing Editor, Creative Woodworks and Crafts Magazine, If you like reading my blog, come visit at Sheila Landry Designs http://www.sheilalandrydesigns.com "Knowledge is Power"