Now things are come fast and furious. It feels good to be out of the mud and actually seeing the results of my work again. For those of you who are wondering, my kitchen is a mess. There is a corner of counter that is piled with supplies and finished pieces that still have that little something left to do on them before the final photography, and there is a pile of clutter. But that is OK. There is lots to show for it.
Let’s get right to the chase . . .
After allowing the paste drying time over night, it was quite hard. While I don’t think I had to wait that long, I was tired the night before and thought it would be better to err on the safe side than be sorry.
The next step in the process was to paint over the entire surface of the ornament with acrylic paint:
Since the paint was quite dark, I chose to do two coats, allowing them to dry in between. The result was this:
It looks kind of like carved wood, I think. I picked all dark colors that would compliment the designs:
I then wanted to dry-brush some metallic gold over them to highlight the raised areas. To do this, I used a brush called a ‘deerfoot stippler’ (because it resembles a hoof shape) and very little paint and I gently brushed the tops of the ornaments with the gold metallic paint. Here is the results:
I think it looks kind of cool.
While I realize that this method will not be to everyone’s liking, I think that it is quite fun and kind of different. The way you brush on these designs is quite easy and just about anyone can do them. I was thinking of making a quick video showing the method for doing it just so people can see that it doesn’t take a lot of skill to get a nice design.
So now I had a couple of sets of ornaments – one set with the designs applied on them and the other with the designs scrolled in. But I wasn’t done yet.
What would a bell be without a clapper?
I decided to add on these nice little bells:
All I did was use a jump ring and a small 3/8” bell. The cats just loved them! This little bit of extra really made a difference and they now looked really ‘finished.’ I was happy!
By the time I got this done, it was barely afternoon. There was still a good part of the day left to accomplish. So I moved on to my next project. (I had actually forgotten that I drew it up last week!)
I did get all the cutting done on it, and finished just about by dinner time. I still need to finish and assemble it though and will show you more of it tomorrow. But for now, here is a quick peek at it:
I would say all in all it was a good day. While I griped at how slow things seemed to be going, I think one of the reasons that they went so well today was because of the time and planning that I put into them when drawing them up. I need to remind myself of this on the days like this when I feel like I am stuck in the mud. It all has a purpose and reason. And it is a necessary part of the process. It is now clear as a bell to me.
There is much I want to accomplish today, so I will be on my way. I hope you all like the variations on the ornaments, and I hope that some of you want to give them a try.
Have a great day!
-- Contributing Editor, Creative Woodworks and Crafts Magazine, If you like reading my blog, come visit at Sheila Landry Designs http://www.sheilalandrydesigns.com "Knowledge is Power"