I figure you are all probably tired of reading about me doing this order, but it has really occupied so much of my time this past week or so that there is little else for me to write about. Today will be the final day regarding it, except perhaps in passing (I promise!)
I finished getting everything packed up yesterday and took the remaining part of the day to get the house back to normal. In living in a small place, you can imagine the disruption that having the bulk of the patterns and pieces around would cause. I did try (somewhat successfully) to keep things organized and in order so that we weren’t tripping over the mess constantly. After all, Keith has his own things to do and I didn’t want to interfere with that if I could help it. We are lucky that we have a cubby hole in the kitchen where I suppose a dishwasher could be installed. This little area served great for storing the 10×10 sheets of prepared wood and subsequently, the cut out pieces until they were all bagged and packaged.
After printing the pattern packets themselves, which I showed in a previous blog, I packaged them neatly in boxes and kept them out of the way under the kitchen table. There they were kept clean and we barely noticed them at all.
The final packing was probably the messiest part, as I needed to do that in the middle of the living room and count out and divide the pieces for each kit. I also needed to find boxes that were the closest in size to the sheets to avoid excessive shifting of the pieces so that they would stack in the most efficient way possible and take up minimal room. The plastic bags that the kits were put in were quite slippery and I didn’t want them moving around in the boxes. Once packed though, I made sure they were quite snug so there was no room for movement inside.
The entire order took up five full boxes:
The estimated weight on the order is 98 lbs. I wanted to be sure that I wasn’t going to go over my weight limits and the smaller boxes were fine for this.
I prepared the shipping documents and scheduled the pickup this morning. Purolator has a policy that you can’t do so online the previous day, so I needed to wait until today to do the final sealing of the order. By noon or so they will be on their way and I will be able to breath a sigh of relief.
It may seem silly, but I feel really good about this. I know that I am just one person and in some ways I am competing with laser cutting and larger companies, but I think I held my own on this one. I am proud of not only the designs that I made, but the quality of the kits that I am providing.
While I wouldn’t want to do this all the time, there are much worse jobs that I can think of for much less money. As I said before, it will help me through the slower seasons of spring and summer and give a nice little boost to my income. The good part about designing is that all the patterns that I have drawn up to this date are still working for me whether I am creating new patterns or producing kits. That doesn’t change.
Since these will be shown in the May catalog and are fall projects, I hope they have a great summer and they sell well. If I have any reorders (I hope to!) I should be able to produce them quickly and efficiently and they will hopefully have a good run.
My next plan for them is to get one or two Christmas/holiday items to them and hopefully I can remain a presence in their catalogs with at least one project indefinitely. I will just have to try.
So I can close this chapter in my work life and call this job a wrap. On to other new and exciting things!
I hope that for those of you who are considering doing production work such as this, you may have picked up a few pointers by seeing how I accomplished this. Overall I think things went pretty well.
Have a wonderful Wednesday!
-- Designer/Artist/Teacher. Owner of Sheila Landry Designs (http://www.sheilalandrydesigns.com) Scroll saw, wood working and painting patterns and surfaces. "Knowledge is Power"