Yesterday was one of those days where everything was falling into place. I had a lot of odds and ends to finish up with, but the satisfaction of seeing those project get done was really motivating and it kept me pushing to do more.
I love when that happens.
I finally got the cheese tray photographed. In speaking with my editor, I also found out that I still had several weeks until it was due to be in New Jersey at the magazine. After running right on deadline since last fall, it was a strange feeling to actually have some breathing room regarding the project. I am beginning to wonder what is wrong with me? ;)
The pictures came out nice, I think.
I am writing the instructions in such a way that it is not completely necessary to have the Corian insert. The wood I used for the tray was a beautiful piece of curly maple, and the mineral oil finish made it look even prettier. One could easily use the plain tray without the Corian piece, if they choose.
All in all, I think it came out nice.
The next project I finished up was the Seashell Candle Tray and Charms set. I had originally designed this tray as a request for a fellow Lumberjock, but never cut my own piece or made it into a packet. It has been so long since I have done the candle trays that I had almost forgotten how much fun they are to do. Here are the pictures of the finished tray and charms:
This tray was made with ash – one of my favorites. I used mineral oil to finish and then sprayed a couple coats of shellac to seal it. It looks really pretty.
I wanted to see what this would look like with some soft colors on the shells, so I used the DecoArt medium and some acrylic paint to stain them. You can do this right over the shellac and I find it works fine.
I really like the way that it looks. The stains add a soft bit of color to the piece and it looks great.
After I finished these two, I decided to finish stapling up my patterns and and I then prepared the next set of boards for cutting by hot gluing the layers together. The stapler so far gets an A+++ rating from me and I was happy that after spending what I did on it, it did a great job. I printed all the boot patterns to fit onto the 10” boards and then, as I stated, hot glued them together into four layer packets. I am all ready to cut the next set of kits out.
Today I will be finishing the pattern packets up, and I have a couple of quick designs I want to draw. They will be a bit of a surprise for you in the following couple of days though so you will have to come back to see.
I slept in a bit today (until 7) and I am not really concerned about it. I worked until after nine yesterday so I don’t feel like I am slagging and the extra sleep time was probably needed.
I love seeing everything fall into place like it is doing. It makes me happy to be able to see so many projects come together knowing that I have more on the horizon. My next order of business will be to update the site and get them up there for sale. I will work on that today too.
I hope you like them, as they were really both quite fun to do.
Have a great day today!
-- Contributing Editor, Creative Woodworks and Crafts Magazine, If you like reading my blog, come visit at Sheila Landry Designs http://www.sheilalandrydesigns.com "Knowledge is Power"