I’ve come to a point in the new project where I have to put my thinking cap on. While everything for the most part was going smoothly, I came across some things that I feel need to be changed.
I didn’t have much of a chance to work on it yesterday because we needed to go to Yarmouth and meet with the accountant. Our appointment was mid-morning and since it takes us about 45 minutes to get there, after writing here and getting the regular morning stuff done, it left no time to do anything before we walked out the door. The meeting with her went well, and I was happy that I took the time earlier and everything was in order. I got some good answers regarding my business, as some of my circumstances had changed. I also had some questions on whether it is best to leave the business in the US or bring it here to Canada, and which would be of the most benefit to me. Since a large majority of my customers are located in the US, it made sense to keep things based there, which was a great relief to me. After all, I finally have everything running smoothly regarding banks, the website, etc., and with the assistance of both my son and Leldon (who is on standby to cut wood pieces and ship them for me if necessary) I feel that we are doing well at covering the bases in the production department and also managing the finances from that side of things. It is great to have people that I trust to help out, and I am very grateful.
The documents I gave here were complete and in good order, and as far as the taxes go, all that is needed is to get the bottom line of what I will be paying. I am not too concerned about it because I have earmarked money set aside for just those purposes. I have learned from the past to do so and I am ready so there should be no surprises. There is much to be said to prepare for what is inevitable and not be scrambling around as those due dates approach. I am sure that next year will be even easier, as my new accounting system is in place and for the most part ‘fool proof’ (or should I say ‘Sheila proof?’) Even I will be able to keep up with it with minimal effort – no matter how busy I become.
After the meeting, we decided to stay in town for a while and shop for a couch. There are four furniture stores in the Yarmouth area and we are in sad need of a new couch. Many of you have seen our set up from my shop pictures and know from reading that we live in a small place. Our ‘office’ is here on our couch, with our monitors on each end and a 50” screen in the middle which serves as our TV, but is also networked to Keith’s computer and can be used as a second monitor for him. It is all a very handy setup that still allows our living area to look somewhat ‘normal’ even though it is our office and our work space.
As a result of this configuration, we wind up spending a great deal of time sitting on the couch. While our current couch is only four years old and hardly an eyesore, it isn’t great for support. The cushions are quite soft and marshmallow-y and after several hours of sitting there, my back doesn’t feel very good. I do feel much better since we joined the gym last fall, but I still get sore after a while and we decided we just need something with a bit more support. So the day was spent going to the four places and looking to see what was available.
After much comparing, we found a really nice one that will suit our purposes very well. It is very well made and even has incremental recliners on both ends so we can change positions from sitting to fully reclining. I ordered up and it will be about 12 weeks for them to make it up and deliver it (perhaps less they say) and I am very excited about having a new and comfortable place to sit when I am on my computer, which is several hours each day. It will be really a nice upgrade for both of us and will make things much more enjoyable.
After that, we had a few errands in town, one of which was going to Staples and getting an eraser and chalk for the chalkboard that I am working on. I was hoping to find a mini-eraser or something smaller than a standard size, but all they had were the larger clunky erasers that we used to use in grammar school. I figured that something was better than nothing, so I got two of them and that was that.
Then I came home to my mail and comments and there was one comment in particular that was really helpful. MrsN had mentioned making my own erasers out of felt, and it really struck a chord with me. I never really considered that option, but I am thinking through at what a wonderful idea it would be to make this project fun and unique. (Thank you so much, Katie!) I have a couple of ideas going around in my mind, but I am still thinking about them and how I will make them work for my purposes. I need to go to the store here today and get some black felt and play around with some ideas that I have today and I am sure that I will be able to come up with something that will work for it. I just have to see.
So I am not out of the woods yet with this project, but I think I will enjoy working on this today and seeing what I can come up with. This is the part of the job that I really like – solving problems and making things work while making things look cute and interesting. I look forward to figuring this out and coming up with cool solution.
I don’t have a good picture for today’s blog. Since I didn’t really make progress on the project, there is nothing new to show you. I don’t think a couch picture would be good either. :) So here’s another good “I can has Cheezeburger” cat for your morning entertainment (http://icanhascheezburger.com/) I hope it makes you smile.
Have a good Friday! :D
-- Contributing Editor, Creative Woodworks and Crafts Magazine, If you like reading my blog, come visit at Sheila Landry Designs http://www.sheilalandrydesigns.com "Knowledge is Power"