I had a pretty productive day yesterday. Among other things, I finished up painting my samples of the little witches’ boots. I now have all twelve done and today I will be creating the pattern packet and doing the ‘good photography’ on them. I did take some quick snapshots this morning so I have something to show you all. Here are the pictures of them for now:
I didn’t set the light box up or anything like that so the coloring isn’t quite right, but at least you can have an idea of how they look.
They are really bright and fun and most of them have metallic accents of iridescent highlights on them. I find that the iridescent neon paint doesn’t want to photograph the same as normal paint. When I scan them in, it seems that the pink colors don’t show up at all. I wonder why that is and I am going to have to look into it a bit.
While painting these, I scanned them in at different stages for the instructional packet so that I can offer step-by-step pictures. It wasn’t until the end that I realized that the pink colors looked quite washed out. I will have to see what I can to in Photoshop to correct that and see if I can bring the photos to look like the true colors from the scans. Otherwise I will probably wind up painting them over again and taking photographs along the way. But that would be a bit more difficult because I would need to do it in a controlled environment over the course of a couple of days. It took me a while to paint them, but I was also adjusting the design and choosing colors and going slowly.
I don’t think it will take as long for me to paint them again, but I am certain that it will still take some time and I would want the background and lighting to be the same for everything. This is where scanning things comes in handy. As long as I leave the settings the same, the pictures come out the same. The only problem is at times like this when certain colors aren’t seen by it in the same way your eyes see them and I need to make adjustments. My scanner software is quite extensive (as most digital software is now) and it will take a bit of a learning curve to fine tune it to something that will be true to life. I remember now (sure, after I am done!) that when I made the patterns for the skating pond, it took quite a bit of playing around in Photoshop to get the printed pictures to be the identical colors as the painted figures. I did pretty well though, and you could hold the figures to the sheet of paper with the printed picture on it and the colors were near identical. It was no small feat though, and these metallic and iridescent paints that I like to use make it a bit harder to calibrate everything. It will be an adventure for sure.
But overall, I am pleased with the outcome of this project. I had a lot of fun picking colors and making them and I think that they can be done by just about anyone. There isn’t a whole lot of difficult shading involved and I think that a lot of people will want to give them a go.
I have one more set of ornaments for the Halloween season that I would like to submit and get finished before the deadline. I want to get to drawing on them relatively quickly so that I can get moving on them and hopefully be considered. This is no time to rest on what I have already accomplished.
So my day is pretty much planned. Tonight I am invited for lobster dinner at Keith’s parents’ house – an invitation that I never decline! It is sure to be a good meal and something that I am really do enjoy. It will be good to get out for a few hours and relax and have a change of scenery.
I hope you all have a great Friday!
-- Contributing Editor, Creative Woodworks and Crafts Magazine, If you like reading my blog, come visit at Sheila Landry Designs http://www.sheilalandrydesigns.com "Knowledge is Power"