I had another good day yesterday, and pretty much finished the work on the new Valentine ornaments I was working on. I am happy to report that I didn’t even break any of the small pieces while I was sanding them and cleaning them up. All the scrollers out there know what a plus that is when doing something like this. It seems that sometimes breaking off small pieces is just part of the project at times.
I find when I do break stuff, that the new Gorilla wood glue is excellent for putting the pieces back together. I had never known they had a wood glue until the contest that was held here on Lumberjocks last year (see- the advertising worked!) and after hearing about it I sought it out here in Canada and finally was able to find some.
I always admired the strength of the original Gorilla Glue, but the ‘growing’ aspect of it was a bit of a turn off for me because of the type of projects I do. I find with the wood glue though that it offers the strength without the ‘growth’ and it dries nearly invisible. The glue is in all probability stronger than the wood it is gluing I expect – especially with the delicate fretwork I do. It has already saved more than one projects of mine and no one will ever be the wiser (Shhhh! Don’t tell!)
I also wanted to mention that I found a wonderful glue bottle at Lee Valley tools. I am sure that many of you have had the experience where glue bottles continually get clogged up. This can be quite annoyance – especially when you are trying to make a delicate repair. About six months ago we were making a Lee Valley order and thought we would try this bottle. I give it high reviews. It has proven to be a useful tool and I just ordered another one for my Gorilla wood glue. Here is the picture for it:
And the link to it is HERE
I promised you all pictures of the new ornaments today so here they are. The first picture is the natural maple ornaments. These were soaked in mineral oil and then sprayed with shellac:
The second picture is of the Baltic birch ornaments. I used the DecoArt Staining and Antiquing medium and Americana Acrylic paints to tint the centers of the hearts in four shades of reds/pinks. They look awesome in person.
Today I will be taking the ‘real’ pictures and building the pattern packet. I think I am going to include all 12 in one pattern. I should have the project officially posted up here at Lumberjocks in a day or so.
I have lots to think about today. There are many deadlines that are looming for the new year. Soon my catalog deadline will be upon me and also my third and final installment for the the calendar project that I need to do for the magazine. I also need to write a few articles and do a video or two to show some of these procedures that I used to make these. I have had some good questions asked too from customers and I think that answering some of them in the form of another lesson for the online class or a tutorial will be appropriate.
And that doesn’t even begin to cover painting!
I guess I will be busy and keep out of trouble. At least for the time being. I hope you all have a wonderful day and find the time to do something creative and fun! Enjoy!
-- Contributing Editor, Creative Woodworks and Crafts Magazine, If you like reading my blog, come visit at Sheila Landry Designs http://www.sheilalandrydesigns.com "Knowledge is Power"