I finished up on the calendar yesterday and I am pretty happy with it. I think it is a fun project and will make a nice series. I needed to take the pictures this morning because everything was drying and I will have it ready to send out tomorrow. The pictures are not exactly what I wanted, but it was still dark out when I took them. I am going to re-take them later on today and get better ones, but for here they will at least give you the idea of what I am doing.
Each month will have three pieces that will be held in place by magnets. There is also an oval disk that will fit in the recess which will have the name of the month, also held on by a magnet. Since the names of the months are glued on to the ovals, they will be quite sturdy. I used maple for everything except mahogany for the lettering of the months. I think it made it stand out really nice. The pieces will have small flat washers glued on the back which will stick nicely to the magnets and make everything easy. The calendar itself will be hung by a small screw in the back. Since the oval is recessed, the screw will hold the calendar evenly against the wall. Most calendars are held by a central hold punched in them and I felt that this was the best way to hang it from the topper.
Here is an example of the separate pieces for the month of January:
They are really quite easy to cut out. Although the snowflakes look busy, many of the holes that decorate them are only drilled, which gives lots of extra detail without having to cut a lot of extra holes.
Here is how the pieces look mounted on the topper:
As with many of my projects, I also am offering a stained version using the DecoArt Staining and Antiquing Medium and Acrylic paints. This is super easy to do and adds a bit of color for those who prefer it. You just brush the tops of the pieces and the cutting lines really make it easy to stain the different sections. I think it really adds a nice touch to the pieces. (I also brushed the snowflake piece with some fine clear glitter medium to make it shimmer!)
Here is the group for February:
And the stained pieces:
I think you get the idea.
I am going to be offering the instructions for the base as well as the January and February overlays in the first article, and then the next five months in each of the next two issues of the magazine. There are too many pieces to offer the entire project all at once and this will at least get people started and things rolling. It is going to appear in the February issue of Creative Woodworks and Crafts magazine, which will be on sale right at the beginning of January so the timing will be perfect for people to make it.
Now that the basic process is thought out, things will go pretty smoothly. This is a really fun project and I am happy that I took the time to really get things nice. It is easy to make and hopefully everyone will like it.
Today will be spent finishing up and taking better pictures. I want to make sure that everything is photographed nicely prior to shipping it , as I know it will be many months before I get it back.
I hope you all like it too!
Have a great day today!
-- Designer/Artist/Teacher. Owner of Sheila Landry Designs (http://www.sheilalandrydesigns.com) Scroll saw, wood working and painting patterns and surfaces. "Knowledge is Power"