I worked on another candle tray yesterday. I did decide to go with the Halloween them for the time being. Whether it is the right or wrong decision, only time will tell but I wanted to go with my gut this time just to see what would happen.
The design I came up with was pretty simple. In cutting it, I found that it was on of the easiest things I have made in a long time. (really) Simple isn’t bad thougha (we talked about that before) and it will be very easy for a new scroll sawyer to accomplish this project. The lines are thick and the web design is very forgiving so if they go off here or there, who is to know? (Only the spider!) It is a good pattern for ‘skill building’ and there are only 60 inside cuts in the web so it shouldn’t take very long at all.
It only took me an hour and a half or so and in between cutting it I was running out to the yard to tend to dinner on the bar-b-que. (I multi-task that way sometimes!)
The spider was a little tricky in that I wanted it to look a bit creepier than it came out. I wanted the legs skinnier and pointier, but I know that the wood wouldn’t tolerate what I was thinking. I used oak for the web and roasted birch for the spider, as it will turn almost black when I oil it.
Here is a picture of how it is now prior to finishing it:
You can see how brown the spider looks now, and I did drill depressions for his eyes. I have some Swarovski crystals in red that will look really cool for eyes. They are 3mm in diameter though, so I needed to be sure that they would fit comfortably without the pieces blowing out when I drilled. (Of course, I drilled prior to scrolling the spider). The roasted birch is quite dry and brittle though and I am a little concerned about the legs breaking off, as it has very little strength. Once the spider is glued on the web though it should be fine.
For the charms that hang off of the candle, I am probably going to put a baby spider with shorter legs. I may also put a little corner web piece of thin oak just to mix it up – I haven’t. quite decided yet. I want the baby to have red bead eyes too, but I will have to see if I can get my hands on some smaller beads. I have some glass seed beads that are common and easy to find that may do the job.
For the web, I used oak and although it could be left natural, I think I may want to use the DecoArt Antiquing and Staining Medium and a pearlized white stain to give it a cool shimmer. I also have some glow-in-the-dark acrylic that may be cool to use. Again – not decided.
I’ll figure all this out today. I am also planning to do some photography of the other projects that I have to submit. I heard from my contact at the catalog and I have about a week to get new stuff to her for the next two issues. So it will be quite a push until then.
After that I am going to start the scroll saw class here. I have already been outlining it and getting organized for it and I think after the Independance Day holiday in the States and Canada Day here in Canada, it will be a good time to get moving on it. The more I think about it, the more I am looking forward to making it work for everyone. I know that working together we can accomplish a lot.
So that is where I am today. I hope you enjoy the design. Even though it isn’t finished yet, it is coming out kind of cool and hopefully it will look good. I already know what I am making next so I can get drawing on that as soon as I finish these things. I like being ahead of the game like that. Now down time in between projects.
I hope you all have a great day today. Do something creative and most important – have some fun!!!
-- Contributing Editor, Creative Woodworks and Crafts Magazine, If you like reading my blog, come visit at Sheila Landry Designs http://www.sheilalandrydesigns.com "Knowledge is Power"