Things got incredibly busy yesterday. I spent most of the morning getting things ready to ship to the magazine for the holiday issue. In the process, I knocked over one of the Rocking Reindeer figures and when it hit the floor, it broke. :(
Fortunately only the runner came off. I had used epoxy on it and the glue just let go. As I picked it up I dropped it again (sigh!) and the other runner snapped off in the same manner. (DOH!) So I scraped off the remaining glue from the pieces and proceeded to re-glue it together. I was grateful that the wood didn’t break, but felt foolish nonetheless.
Next I needed to pack up the Reindeer Candle Tray and Charm set. Thankfully, Debbie at the magazine will purchase a candle for me so I don’t have to ship one. The glass jar candles that I use with the trays are very heavy and they will certainly damage all the delicate wood pieces that would be shipped. The way that packages are handled through the mail could be a blog in itself! But as I was tying the ribbons and hanging the reindeer charms on them to get them ready to ship, I noticed that I had placed the loops on the reindeer on their backs and the weight from the antlers cause them to tilt forward, as if they were dive bombing. That would not do.
So it was back to the drawing board for those. I redrew the piece(s) and put the loops on the antlers so they hung balanced and then had to cut and finish them all over again. I was glad that I caught it.
So much for shipping things out yesterday. :/
While waiting for glue to dry, I revised my Horse Pull Toy too. I did decide to stain the saddle brown, and while I was at it, I also stained the wheels. I added a string with a bead on the end and now it looks “finished”. I am happy that I took these extra steps because I think it looks so much better. I also sent a picture of it to my main wholesaler, even though I know I missed the current deadline with it and I promptly received an email that she wanted it for this catalog anyway if I could get her the photos in the next day or so. That made me really happy.
|From SLD249 Antique Horse Pull Toy|
By now it was mid-afternoon and the phone rang and we received news that Keith’s lathe was in. The tools he ordered for it have been arriving all week and I know he was really excited about getting it. It was a beautiful, warm and sunny day so we put the top down on the car and headed to Yarmouth to go retrieve it. While in town, we did some shopping and errands and I was very happy that we didn’t need to take an entire day to pick it up. It just fit perfectly in the back seat and it is times like this when I am very happy that we have a convertible because it was much easier just to lift it into the car with the top down.
We arrived home around 8:30 or so and not too long afterword, the phone rang again. This time it was the representative that I talked to last week from the company that hosts my web site. He informed me that the programmers there have fixed the problem with my site and everything will work properly in a day or so when they are finishing updating their software. I checked this morning, and it still isn’t right, but he had said that it would take a day or so before the updates are all in effect. I’ll take it.
I was very happy that they called. After being told that they were not working over the weekend, I saw no sense in calling them yesterday, but I had them at the top of the list today if things were still not working. At least it shows that they have some awareness. I felt as if my hands have been tied the last week on this issue, as it isn’t like I can just move things somewhere else easily. I am somewhat at their mercy. I was, however ready to really make some noise and move up the ladder to get something done about the problem. I am happy that it didn’t have to go that far.
So all in all it was a good day. Keith is very happy with his new lathe and although he spent a couple of hours checking it out, he didn’t even really turn it on yet, as it was late by the time he was at that point. I am sure today that he will spend some additional time setting things up and give it a run. I am very excited for him.
At this point I am not going to get involved much with it. I have so much going right now that I don’t think it would be wise to take on another aspect of woodworking yet. I need to prepare for the class next month, get some designs in the next catalog, and work on some of the painting project that I have started. Not to mention the videos. I also had wanted to do some chip carving and have the knives and everything I need to get started there. Oh, and the site desperately needs an update. I have had a couple of emails from customers that missed hearing from me last month because we were away.
So my plate is pretty full right now and I think it is a good idea to know when to say when. I can’t believe it is May already and we are almost mid-year. It seems the older I get, the more quickly the years pass by.
My goals for the day are to get the box mailed out to the magazine and also do the project for Bernie. He is supposed to be by sometime this week and I had wanted to get it done over the weekend and I got caught up in doing the Horse Pull Toy. I also need to retake the pictures of the horse on a light background for the catalog. They prefer that over the dark one I used.
With that said I am going to get to things. It is good to be busy and have a variety of fun things to work on. It seems that life is pretty good these days and I am thoroughly enjoying every aspect of it.
I hope your day is wonderful too.
-- Contributing Editor, Creative Woodworks and Crafts Magazine, If you like reading my blog, come visit at Sheila Landry Designs http://www.sheilalandrydesigns.com "Knowledge is Power"