LumberJocks

back to the box

  • Advertise with us
Blog series by scottb updated 04-18-2007 06:28 PM 5 parts 6202 reads 66 comments total

Part 1: little cherry box

03-12-2007 03:50 AM by scottb | 27 comments »

Apart from reading just about every magazine that hit the newsstands since we bought our house several years back, I’m basically a self-taught woodworker. I’ve only taken two classes. One a 5-week lathe class (spindle turning), the other a ten-week intro class – where I designed and built my pub table. (The first project I posted here). I finished those classes a little over a year ago, and my wife and I agreed that I could continue to take classes as time and budget allowed. Consequently, I ...

Read this entry »


Part 2: poplar box

03-21-2007 09:00 PM by scottb | 9 comments »

The second box in my series was called (per the book) an old pine box. The author salvaged some old shelving from his house and used that. I figured I would do the same, there was sure to be something out in the shed, or among the stacks in the basement that I could use. I was looking for some nice old quartersawn looking pine (which is what the author used) and I found the perfect piece (Fir, I think) But when it came time to measure it up I was short the box top (or bottom) I could have sca...

Read this entry »


Part 3: waiting for the glue to dry

03-28-2007 05:22 AM by scottb | 10 comments »

or another title option, I need more clamps! There is nothing as great as an unexpected free day. Despite the fact I had to put in a 10.5 hour monday to get it. We lumberjocks are a funny lot, while people are watching TV, movies, or playing videogames on an otherwise “free” or “mental health day”, we head down into the shop to work for our fun. And today I was no exception. I was going to see how much of “Box #3” I could get done! I pulled out a c...

Read this entry »


Part 4: Box 3 - Recipe Box

04-11-2007 01:57 AM by scottb | 7 comments »

The third box in my series (the middle one), while still a beginner project presented me with a few new challenges. As I mentioned in the previous post in the series, I resawed some leftover decking for this project. The sides are quartersawn 3/8ths mahogany, glued together with simple butt joints. When the time came to select a piece for the top, I realized I needed a bigger board. After weighing a few options, I decided to glue up a couple more 3/8th pieces – that I had to r...

Read this entry »


Part 5: my trip on the waterslide

04-18-2007 06:28 PM by scottb | 13 comments »

Finally got to the point where I could try the waterslide transfer decals out. David’s instructions were much clearer than what came with the product. Having already used a different first coat, than in his demo (oops), and not being sure of compatability issues (not to mention wanting to wait for a few coats of spray finish to dry) I tried using them unprotected (as per the manufacturers instructions). They worked great – slid off perfectly. I didn’t find them too ...

Read this entry »



DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase