I’ve posted two Wall Street twist models recently, and tonight I tried my hand at a click version of the same pen.
Tonight for project #24….
First up was cocobolo, a lovely brownish striped wood, when turned it looks purple and orange, and returns to rich browns when exposed to air and finished with oil… at least it normally does. – this piece is half caramel and cocoa, and half… umm, fruit stripe gum. If it didn’t brown at all, it’d make a nice pen for a student or teacher at my Alma Mater. Purple, Purple, White, White, Go Panthers, let’s fight!
so…. while this pen turned beautifully, was sanded – hand sanded – to 4000 grit (Sandpaper to 2000, then Micro Mesh from 1500 to 4000), then buffed to a glass finish… I have to set it aside to see what, if anything I can do with it. Glad I bought a bag of extra tubes. I can still make another attempt or two for this the kit, and just toss this one.
Then I tried this piece of cherry (one of a kind piece, you might say), turned great, one little chip out, that I thought I’d have to patch in a repair piece (drilled fine, chipped when squaring the blank) but I was able to make a near perfect repair with superglue and fine sawdust. Yay!
So I started putting the pen together. Looks good, but only seems to click from out, to way out. why won’t it retract? was the mechanism jammed? take it apart, put it together, repeat.
Ok, did I cut the wood too short? oops, I used the wrong tubes. Why did they sell (or seem to sell) only one size of replacement tubes under the Wall street label? (the wall is not organized in any discernible pattern that I can make out.) My bad for not using the ones in the kit, but I was expecting them to be the same (replacement tubes for the cigars and euros have always been just right…. now what to do.
I can’t scrap this piece… it’s, umm, a special piece of cherry.
Can I trim some of the mechanical pieces in the pens inner workings? probably, but that might cause more issues…
I suppose I can go back to that “add on a top piece” idea I thought I’d have to do anyway.
Luckily I was able to dismantle the pen so I could glue on another tube and fit on some more wood to lengthen it. I did have to destroy the top of the pens mechanical parts to do it (which is fine, as it turns out the second bag I bought was missing a piece or two, so I haven’t really wasted a kit… I just can’t return the shorted one anymore… as it’ll be missing about 1/2 of the kit. Oh well, spare parts are never a bad thing.)
so, second blank from the left (sanded to 1000, MM to 12000, buffed then treated with BLO, Friction Polish) assembled, dismantled, remounted, turned down just a bit to go into another piece of cherry, tubes glued together within said piece of cherry… and left til later.
These could, should have been projects #24 and 25 in the 30 projects in 30 days challenge. I didn’t say I have to complete 30, just set out to make them. Of course I still expect to make 30… but at least this is allowing me (as I figured) to try out some new things. I was sooo careful with the turning and finishing, assembly couldn’t have been easier either. Just can never tell when you’re not paying attention until it’s too late… but If tomorrow takes a turn for the better, it may not be too late.