Had a slight mishap today when I went to mill the legs down so they'd be the proper width after applying a "veneer" edge, I accidentally cut all the pieces! I should have left the those at the final width, I got a little carried away.
A little creative thinking and milling a few more pieces out of the remaining door stock, and I'll have legs that will ultimately be a mere 3/16ths skinnier, but and I'm able to proceed using only this reclaimed door lumber. I've thought the inspiration piece was a little "blockier" than needed to be (and therefore a bit bigger in scale than it really is), so this slight adjustment will suit my piece just fine, and probably go unnoticed otherwise.
Initially I thought I'd get almost two tables out of the door, now It's looking like there won't be much (useful) leftover bits of wood (I'll surely keep the scrap and make something else with it, eventually, but that's another blog.) If not for the peg holes in the door I'd have been able to get my quartersawn veneers out of much less stock, as it is I've milles about 12 "legs" - there are 4 more matching pieces (with a subtle grain variation) that are slated to be part of the top.
I remembered a glue up technique I read about, where you glue on a thicker piece of wood, and then rip it down to the final width later - this is what I'm doing, rather than try to rip 1/16th inch veneer strips and attach those. Thereby doing the glue up all at once (well actually need to put one more edge on the left most piece (so another glue up is in order - two sure beats eight!
Check out the new parallel clamps! Bet you can't guess where they came from ;) -- After the glue dries, I'll be turning this big "mono-block O'leg" into 4 "quartersawn" legs!