The third box in my series (the middle one), while still a beginner project presented me with a few new challenges.
As I mentioned in the previous post in the series, I resawed some leftover decking for this project. The sides are quartersawn 3/8ths mahogany, glued together with simple butt joints. When the time came to select a piece for the top, I realized I needed a bigger board.
After weighing a few options, I decided to glue up a couple more 3/8th pieces – that I had to re-joint on the tablesaw as the pieces had a slight taper to them. I neglected to rip a clean edge on the glue up side. Tthe top looked good, but the underside had a groove I would need to fill or cover. I figured that I’d use that as the base, and hide it with a layer of cork.
I cut out the top and bottom, but somehow I was distracted and I cut the top square. Too Small. Now would I try to glue up a third piece to that, or start over? A slight bow to both pieces told me to start over, so I did.
Unfortunatly the second piece also had a slight bow to it, but I figured glue-up would take care of that issue, and it did!
Took the box to the disk sander to clean up the edges and put a little glue in key places to catch some sawdust and fill up any small gaps in the joinery. I left a couple of the natural (or man-made) holes for interest.
The next step was to cut the lid off the glued up cube, which went off without a hitch. I managed to keep the tablesaw blade just low enough to leave a paperthin piece on two sides, then I cut through the other sides with the blade raised. A flush cutting saw made quick work of removing the lid, as I suspect my curiously missing utility knife also would have.
Some light sanding and I was ready to attach the lid. The somewhat curved lid.
It seems that the lid pulled back to its original shape. (I guess I need to beef up my plane collection and/or get myself a planer, so I can start with dead flat stock, and not use the “cross my fingers” method (that would have worked had I cut lower for a deeper lid). There is one place I should have deviated from the project. One of two aspects of the plan I changed (apart from increasing the size for larger recipe cards) was to omit the hardboard liners on the inside of the box – their purpose was to help align the lid (in the absence of hinges, which I did use).
I did the best I could sanding the lid, and high corners on the box to help get the lid to sit flush. I almost stopped twice, but kept hearing the voice in my head “Is this the best I can do, or should I try just a little bit more.” I’m glad I heeded the voices in my head. Now I can show my project proudly. Can’t sell it, and I’m not going to give it away. This one is mine…
Hey! another project for my Artisan Kitchen!
despite it’s troubles, I LOVE the top!
Currently unfinished. I have my waterslide paper to make a label first, then I’ll finish all the boxes in the series thus far.