LumberJocks

New "Antique" Lathe Stand #2: putting the base together

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by scottb posted 07-19-2010 02:50 AM 4836 reads 0 times favorited 7 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 1: step up to the stand Part 2 of New "Antique" Lathe Stand series Part 3: stand up »

I spent, (what started off as) a nice cool Saturday morning, cutting and fitting the mortise and tenons for the base.

Since I cut the tenons by hand, I figured I’d break out the brace and bit I inherited to drill out most of the waste for the mortices…. Not for a lack of trying, but I just couldn’t get it to hold the bits… so I moved over to the shopsmith. It was still set up in drillpress mode afterall. Aligned the table height and fence, and two seconds later I had the first one drilled out. Oops I forgot a backerboard to prevent the massive chip out on the backside. the second piece came out a lot cleaner.

Over to the sawbench with chisel and Mallet (Texas Osage Orange from my Bro) to chop away the rest of the waste.

With a little elbow grease, and the help of a microplane liberated from the kitchen, I spent the remainder of the increasingly warmer and warmer morning, paring, filing and fitting.

It didn’t occur to me to drill out the mortices at 5 degrees to match the angle of the legs, so I had to open them up a bit more than intended. but as I’d be wedging the tenons, it didn’t matter much. Good practice and lessons learned before I give the Schwarz Roubo a shot.


Test fit before glue up. In days of old I’d have just gone with the glue up, and then had to live with (or fight with) the results.


Negligible, but a tiny bit of racking. I rasped just a wee bit more and everything fits nice and flat. Nicely (quickly and easily) saved.

Glued up, wedged tenons – with the same oak as the stretcher – and some help from the Gorilla. The glue I won for my birdhouse in fact. (One that stayed with the old house) A whole other level of recycling and reusing on this stand!

Yeah, the sides of the mortice aren’t perfectly square. My rasping kind of rounded the sides a bit. That and some chip out on the outside faces is evident. But the tenons do fit in quite snugly.
I was going to wedge the tenons diagonally to fill in the gaps, but feared splitting the legs. I’ll go for strength over appearance on this project. I suppose I could try to fill in the gaps with filler or some bits of wood… and I might. But it’s supposed to be old, rustic and stout anyhow.

Next up – notching for the feet and attaching the top.

-- I am always doing what I cannot do yet, in order to learn how to do it. - Van Gogh -- http://blanchardcreative.etsy.com -- http://snbcreative.wordpress.com/



7 comments so far

View Karson's profile

Karson

35035 posts in 3867 days


#1 posted 07-19-2010 03:42 AM

Looking great Scott.

-- I've been blessed with a father who liked to tinker in wood, and a wife who lets me tinker in wood. Southern Delaware soon moving to Virginia karsonwm@gmail.com †

View Dick, & Barb Cain's profile

Dick, & Barb Cain

8693 posts in 3765 days


#2 posted 07-19-2010 05:59 AM

It’s coming along real nice Scott.

Do you have the regular bits for a brace & bit like these?

-- -** You are never to old to set another goal or to dream a new dream ****************** Dick, & Barb Cain, Hibbing, MN. http://www.woodcarvingillustrated.com/gallery/member.php?uid=3627&protype=1

View RobS's profile

RobS

1334 posts in 3772 days


#3 posted 07-19-2010 06:03 AM

Looks good. So that’s regluar Gorilla glue and not the Gorilla wood glue?.

-- Rob (A) Waxahachie,TX

View John Gray's profile

John Gray

2370 posts in 3351 days


#4 posted 07-19-2010 03:41 PM

Interesting post! Please keep us informed as you move along?

-- Only the Shadow knows....................

View stefang's profile

stefang

15512 posts in 2800 days


#5 posted 07-19-2010 06:50 PM

Nice work Scott. I’m wondering why you chose the polyurethane (Gorrilla) glue. I’m not saying this to be critical as I’m sure it will work fine, but it is so messy. Why not a PVA or Titebond which is easier to work with? If you are going for waterproof, TB lll is that too.

-- Mike, an American living in Norway.

View John Gray's profile

John Gray

2370 posts in 3351 days


#6 posted 07-19-2010 07:52 PM

FWIW – stefang has the right idea, I agree.

-- Only the Shadow knows....................

View scottb's profile

scottb

3648 posts in 3793 days


#7 posted 07-20-2010 12:18 AM

Personally I do like me some Titebond, and it is my glue of choice, but…. honestly, most of my glues didn’t survive the winter. And that bottle was found, unopened, in the house. nice and safe. Why run out to the store when I had an option that wasn’t superglue. For some projects I don’t mind the polyurethane glue, and it didn’t really foam out, save for the exposed portions of the wedges that I will be cutting off anyway.

-- I am always doing what I cannot do yet, in order to learn how to do it. - Van Gogh -- http://blanchardcreative.etsy.com -- http://snbcreative.wordpress.com/

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com