I decided that I was going to finish the table yesterday. As I eluded to in my shop tour, the top is slate, specifically a piece of an old school chalkboard. (I have 4 or 5 large pieces courtesy of my grandfather).
Months ago I hung up a 2x3 (ish) piece in the kitchen with a couple screws, it drilled really easy and cleanly. I expected to be able to cut this with my jigsaw, but I meant to pick up (or look for) something else - just in case, when I was out getting a few things at the Big Blue Box. (You guessed it - I forgot)
On any setting (with a metal blade) I was unable to make more than a 1/4" dent in the slate. I scribed super easy with any metal tool, A few passes with a file brought up some dust, but was obvious this would take a while. I tried defining the line with a saw I don't use. The non cutting pull stroke did a much better job than the jig saw did, so I kept at it. It took a little (a lot) longer than cutting wood, but only because it was tiresome to handsaw through 46 inches of 1/4+ inch stone.
Yes, I was determined to finish last night. I have yet to replace my burnt out dremel. Couldn't find the battery to my older rotary tool. I couldn't find a file with a thin edge, but the saw seemed to work well enough - certainly got a nice straight line with it... and I only chipped one corner a bit.
A little epoxy to fix up that, and a little more sanding today (Talk about dusty!) and this baby is done! One side is smooth - the ROS sander cleaned off the bits of green paint, the other side has a nice "grain". despite a little flaking near the edges, I think this will be the show side.
I epoxied the chip back into place last night, then I went in this morning with some more epoxy mixed with some slate dust to fill in the gaps on the side.... and voila, a solid piece of slate! Sanded nearly invisibly on top, almost imperceptably on the side!